Can't Shift Out of Park

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
I backed into my dad's truck(dumbass i know) and the Antilock Light came on. I pulled a few feet forward, put it in Park, and turned it off. Now, about 1 and a half hours later, I go to put it in the garage and it wont come out of Park. The car turns on fine but the button wont go in all the way.?? The car is sitting at a forward slant if that matters??

I gotta get this fixed NOW. Im leaving at 4AM on vacation and the car is parked really close to the road.
Thanks
Fernando

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
If the release button pushesin, just give it a solid pull. If you cant push the button in, take the shifter cover off. Something is physically blocking it from going down. I have seen coins and bottle caps prevent the lock from disengaging before.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
It could be hung up because of the downward slope. If you can get someone to kind of rock it back a little while you try to pull it out of park that may work.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
my bet is on the brake light fuse blowing. This will lock you out of any shifting.

If that doesn't prove to be wrong...use the shift override button....

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
I had 2 brothers and 2 cousing try to push the car back but the rear wheels aren't moving. Its like the E-brake is pulled but its not.
Brake light fuse??? My brake lights come on when I press the brakes..??
I know that the last 2 mornings my Parking Brake light was on(wasn't pulled and I was driving) for the first few miles, is this what you are talking about??
Thanks
Fernando

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
Well the shift override button worked, so now my car is sitting safely in the garage. However, I still need to figure out why it wont shift out of park on its own. Also, when I put it in Drive it seemed really weak?? Reverse seemed to be fine.
Thanks guys!
Fernando

Oh yeah, I have no power steering now for some reason...

Last edited:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
check your belts, if you lost power steering you probably lost a belt or two.

how bad was this impact with your dads truck?

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
Finally got back home today. All belts are fine, Im not leaking any fluids, and no codes are being thrown- weird right?
The impact wasn't too bad, it broke the passenger taillight and dented the corner. Was hard enough the set off the Anti Lock light...

Problems/Symptoms:
No power steering
Car feels very weak in Drive
Anti Lock light is on
And the car won't shift out of park W/O the Shift Override button

Too late and dark now to really take a good look at everything so hopefully I'll know more tomorrow.
Any ideas on whats's going on?

Thanks
Fernando

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Im having a hard time imagining the mechanism that made a minor rear impact cause those issues. I can only think they are coincidental.