Can you wire the headlight switch to a toggle switch?

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
I've searched all over and cant find it anywhere. My headlight switch went out, and i dont really currently have the money to buy a new one. Kinda in a crunch and was hoping someone might have an idea of how to wire it to a toggle switch. I pulled my lower dash and around the steering column to expose the wires. Theres the red, green, white, and clear wire. The red, green, and clear wires have 1.4v the white im guessing is a ground. If i connect these in any order with my ignition on, nothing happens. I was wondering if im missing something, or what makes the lights come on. I did have a bad relay also and have already replaced it. Its on a 87 7mgte manual. If someone could help me on this it would be greatly appreciated. Before my lights stopped working, they wouldn't turn off at all. Even when i turned the ignition off. I had to unhook my battery in order to keep it from draining. Then all the sudden they wouldnt come on at all. Any advice???

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
If theres anyone in the clarksville, tn area that is selling a headlight switch for a low price id take it off your hands.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Check the forsale section and post in the want to buy section. Should be able to get a used one for pretty cheap.

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
Before the switch went put I had to joggle the switch to get the lights to come on sometimes. They would flicker sometimes and if I messed with the switch they would stop.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Why would anyone do this. Just look a for a used switch in the for sale section and post in the wtb section.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
A used one is probably less expensive and far less intrusive than what you would need to do to make it work.

You need to duplicate the functionality of the switch as shown on Page 60 of the TEWD. Might not cost 60 billion double dollars, but I'd guess that if you needed to ask the question, it'd be an exercise in frustration to troubleshoot it when you do it wrong the first time. Then it's going to look like crap, and anyone driving the car is going to need 10 minutes of training as to what the switches do.

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
Found a universal headlight switch at autozone with a fuse in it. Ran a wire to the tail lights and one to each headlight powered from the battery. Only cost me $10 with wire.

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
Vash;1975037 said:
Found a universal headlight switch at autozone with a fuse in it. Ran a wire to the tail lights and one to each headlight powered from the battery. Only cost me $10 with wire.

So it ended up working?! Haha I did something similar when I couldn't find out when my car wouldn't start or click. Bought a switch from Autozone, hooked one side up on the battery and the other side to the starter and waboom she started.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I would love to see a picture of how you mounted the new light switch. Glad to hear you got them working. You only need to run one wire to each light. Thats sound easy.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The Autozone generic switch has a wire you just hook up and it communes with the integration relay to make the motor retract relay go up and down, and shut off with out going down. Word up for autozone and $10 switches.

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
Nah didnt use the relay set up. I got new headlight pigtails, grounded one and ran a wire to the other side and hooked them to the switch. Then I pulled the circuit board off my tail lights on the passenger side and tapped into the wire that powers the parking lights. Only have to run that one because it runs to all the tails. Ran that to the switch and then a hot wire amd was done.