Can you get a permanent plate for our cars?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I thought you didn't have to smog a car if it's at least 20 years old. So why do I have to keep smogging my 27 year old Supra? There's guy that I know he has permanent plate from Montana he never has to smog it or pay for tags. He said he just paid $800.00 and that was it. "Montana LLC" I googled it, it's like eight hundred bucks.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Depends on the state.

Here in WI I got a collectors plate for $200 one time fee - lasts a lifetime.
Don't have to pay again ever for renewal.
The only limitation is that it can't be driven in January, which I could care less about, not driving it in the winter anyway.

Also any "emissions" testing here isn't actually testing the tailpipe with a 3 gas analyzer.
Its just simply plugging into the OBDII port and checking for any codes and verifying all readiness monitors are passed.

Vehicles exempt from testing here:
Model year 1995 and older vehicles.
Model year 1996 and newer vehicles that are not OBDII-compliant (must be verified at a test station).
Diesel powered vehicles with a model year 2006 and older.
Motorcycles and mopeds.
Vehicles with a gross weight rating over 14,000 lbs.
Model year 2006 and older vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) over 8,500 pounds
Trucks with farm registration.
Non-motorized vehicles.
School buses and human service vehicles with seating capacity of 16 or more people.
Vehicles registered as special design vehicles, Medal of Honor and apportioned plates.
Electric powered vehicles.

So you will need to look up your specific state regulations on this topic.
They vary widely.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
For Cali its 1976 or newer. Smog forever. I've been thinking its time to put together a facebook group or something and get someone in the state legislature interested in sponsoring a classic car exemption.

And the Montana LLC is not legal if the car is principally operated in California. There was an article about it recently in the LA Times.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
For california, Its legal to swap in a newer engine from the same family (i.e. Toyota). You can get that approved if the newer engine is ca legal and the engine management is updated as well. In fact , its encouraged since the newer engine is considered cleaner.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Here in texas it only has to pass a safety inspection ( horn, belts, lights, brakes, steering, ect...) For anything 25 years or older. No smog test. Been told by multiple mechanics that does the state inspections. I'm happy bout that.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
For california, Its legal to swap in a newer engine from the same family (i.e. Toyota). You can get that approved if the newer engine is ca legal and the engine management is updated as well. In fact , its encouraged since the newer engine is considered cleaner.

3P 1415,: question: How do people put small block Chevy in a Toyotas, is it because the car is not in California? I was under the impression that you can swap any engine you want in a car you just need a referee.

Off topic; I saw a V6 Toyota engine stuffed in a 3 gen Celica and it looked as if it came factory.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Phoenix metro and Tuscon areas are 1967 and newer.

Arizona has a collector car registration option. You must have collector insurance. I had it on my 90. Up to 5 year registration and no emissions testing, ever.

Colorado, on the other hand has no such exclusion. It's ridiculous that the requirements aren't simply to pass the dyno-tailpipe test. What matters is what comes out the tailpipe or what's vented from your fuel tank or pre-cat.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
3P 1415,: question: How do people put small block Chevy in a Toyotas, is it because the car is not in California? I was under the impression that you can swap any engine you want in a car you just need a referee.

The guidelines are here. https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

It is tricky to swap out a different manufacturers engine because of this requirement.

"Mixing and matching emission control system components could cause problems and is generally not allowed. Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine-chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of vehicle in which it is installed."

So that becomes very hard to justify if you have a chevy engine in a toyota, since the toyota evap and other external emissions hardware are not going to be certified for that chevy engine. Now maybe a referee would say its ok, but you are in a gray area for sure.

I would say most of those v8 swaps are not in California, or if they are, they are not being refereed.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX

Off topic; I saw a V6 Toyota engine stuffed in a 3 gen Celica and it looked as if it came factory.

What's more impressive is the dodge tomahawk. V10 motorbike. God that sounds scary.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
All this legal nonsense makes me appreciate Wyoming. Downside to the lack of red tape is the state's appetite for my green paper... $137 to register my 87 Supra... every... single... year... from... now... until... forever.

You read that right. It basically works out to $100 registration fee for every $20k in original MSRP. Sooooo... that $300k supercar that you can pick up for $40k now? Yeah, that's gonna cost you $1500 for registration, every year. No need to worry about inspections though.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
I live in PA and have a classic plate on mine which means no emissions. But then again regardless of your plate if you put less than 5k miles a year on your car you dont have to do emissions, only inspection.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Arizona has a collector car registration option. You must have collector insurance. I had it on my 90. Up to 5 year registration and no emissions testing, ever.

Colorado, on the other hand has no such exclusion. It's ridiculous that the requirements aren't simply to pass the dyno-tailpipe test. What matters is what comes out the tailpipe or what's vented from your fuel tank or pre-cat.

I will have to check that out on vacation for my 72 K5 Blazer. I checked the AZDOT website and they mention a list from 1963 they use from the Classic car club of America that is revised every 5 years supposedly that I can't find anywhere. The CCCA current list only specifies 1925-1948.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Damm I better not bitch about $128 then. It was $88.

In Illinois for regular yearly plate renewal , it is $103 plus where I live you need a yearly city sticker so add another $50. What sucks is that if you don't get a city sticker, you could possibly get a $100 ticket anywhere you park even places such as grocery stores, restaurants and private parking lots.