Can someone please identify this part- Flush/Fill connector

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble identifying a part on my engine. I tried searching on here, looking in the TSRM and the EPC, and even looking at pictures of the 7M-GTE engine bays on here but to no avail. The part has cracked and is leaking onto the exhaust manifold.

Can anyone tell me what the name Toyota calls this, and possibly a part number? I haven't been able to see it on other stock 7M-GTE's either.

The cap reads KEEP TIGHT, FLUSH/FILL CONNECTOR. I searched for this and couldn't find anything either. Sorry, this is probably something obvious, but I have no clue.

Thanks for the help,
Matt

p940929_1.jpg

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
Thanks for the response, GrimJack.

Well the reason I kept thinking it must have been some hard to identify stock part is because my dad has owned it since new and service has only been performed by Toyota dealers. Hmm, well what would be the reasoning for someone putting it on when the car stock doesn't need or have one?

JAB89

Supramania Contributor
Mar 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This appears to be a bleed off valve that someone has inserted in the heater hose to make it easy to "burp" the cooling system after refilling. This is a high point in the system (altitude wise) and so is a spot where air gets trapped. A couple of threads on the subject:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57987&highlight=Burp+Radiator
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37802&highlight=Burp+Radiator

If you want to keep the function you will have to try to find one somewhere. Otherwise, you can replace the hose which is kind of hard to get to on the back of the head (I would only use an original hose from Toyota). Another option would be to just insert some sort of pipe nipple to rejoin the hose you already have. Either way, don't forget to "burp" the system afterwards.

Last edited:

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
that part is sold in a kit when you want to flush out your cooling system. id dsay if its leaking just replace the hose or go to a pepboys,autozone,ace hardware store and pick up a PRESTONE FLUSH AND FILL KIT and just replace that part its under 12 bucks.

7msupradude

Please wash your car!
Jan 31, 2007
Utah
I had the same problem, the plastic on each side of the valve had deteriorated and cracked. I just replaced it with a straight connector, but be sure to clean the broken plastic pieces out of the hose..

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ I would have just replaced the hose altogether. ;) By putting a piece of straight pipe in there, you kept those two points for possible failure. ;)

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Man, seems that everyone that uses the wink smiley always seems to agree on things.

If you need something to fix it quick go to home depot and get a brass strait through barb connector. Might as well replace the hose though unless you want to keep that feature of having a flush port there.

;)?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
;)

Imho those flush kits are pretty useless. They're somewhat useful for initial cleaning of the system with chemicals but that's about it. After that there is no need for flushing, at least if maintenance is done right. They're just another cheap part failure point and there's already a pattern failure in that hose: the heater valve. Why have another weak link in the chain?

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
Thanks everyone for all the help, I really appreciate it! It figures it would be something kinda obvious, so thanks for letting me know. The top part with the cap on had cracked and eventually broke off when I was replacing it.

I put on the new tee and one of the clamps apparently was not close enough to the end of the hose where the tee is and starting leaking again. I then moved it as close as I could get it to the tee, and it seems like it will hold at least until I can buy the new hose. Mine is looking kind of beat up anyways.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jetjock;941234 said:
;)

Imho those flush kits are pretty useless. They're somewhat useful for initial cleaning of the system with chemicals but that's about it. After that there is no need for flushing, at least if maintenance is done right. They're just another cheap part failure point and there's already a pattern failure in that hose: the heater valve. Why have another weak link in the chain?

Yep, unnecessary movement on that hose could easily break the heater valve...