Can anybody help identify this problem?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Ive been having this issue with my other Supra for the past few months now causing me to not be able to drive it :3d_frown:, and its completely getting on my nerves! I have already replaced the turbo with a known working non-faulty one, I have already changed out the head gasket, spark plugs are not getting soaked up, the car has a lot of power. But the car smokes, and i noticed it smells like oil, and after taking my exhaust off, the insides of the piping are covered in oily residue... I am currently doing the valve stem seals at the moment but if there are any other things to consider checking out, please do let me know, I really want to get this car back on the road, thanks guys!

Heres a short clip of how it runs:

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Very well could be the valve stem seals. Letting all the oil in the cylinder. I had a similar issue a few years ago but mine was the turbo seals. Since you have a known good one on there I am voting for the stem seals.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Either way i can check and replace the valve stem seals, as for the turbo seal i can remove the turbo and replace that if needed, however i have a question; how would i be able to identify if the turbo is bad by looking at it once its removed? Im just confused as the old turbo smoked like this, and then we replaced it off a parts car, and its still doing it..

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
If it is the seals you'll find oil. On one of my turbos I found a lot and I do mean a lot of oil in the ic pipes and ic itself. On another I had oil running into my downpipe.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Compression check to test your rings would be another good thing to do...

Valve stem seals usually aren't constant like that, so you have some other issue. Could be a clogged oil drain on the turbo as well (turbos don't have "seals")

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I did notice when i removed the exhaust the innards were full of oily residue, as well as the turbo inlet was kind of showing signs of oil even with the PCV system bypassed which means the valve cover pcv stuff wasnt attached to the accordion hose, and when the lower hose is removed it drips oil, thats the things i notice..

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Well updates, thanks for the advice and help guys, removed the turbo today the downpipe and manifold/turbo section was soaked in oil but the exhaust manifold where it meets the head is dry, replaced the turbo and the smoking is gone, took it for a 100 mile drive today and she runs like a charm :)