Cams/Cam Journals... (How did this happen?)

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
IJ.;1535036 said:
Have to wait for some more detail from Fubar, mine are usually pretty good for 30>40k KM's then start to breath a little heavy but I put that down to the thin rings supplied for most forged pistons.

Could be a factor that the gouges suggets it's had debris run through the cam saddles (it get's trapped in the soft babbit material on the cam journals and just gouges away till there's enough wear to escape)

Have to wonder at the Mains and Rod bearings at this stage.

I would have those checked, and possibly be more worried about them right now..

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Oh one thing i forgot to mention, this is ONLY on the intake side, and only on the first 3 saddles for cyl 1-2-3. The exhaust cam and saddles are 100% fine, as the back 3 of the intake cam. My mechanic says he thinks something might have got in it and spun around in them or something.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Another possibility is the clearances are way too big. Not uncommon on these engines, although it's usually 4-5-6 that are the worst. If the engine has been apart before then all bets are off, could be just dirt from a sloppy repair.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I had purchased a 7mgte a while back and it turned out the person had somehow rounded off an arp nut.. He tried using an easy out to get it off and ended up breaking it, so his wonderful solution was to grind/cut it off with a dremel in car... Tore the thing down and this is what the bearings looked like(rod caps were on backwards too)..
p1540403_1.jpg

Also, my cam sadles looked very similar to yours, though the camshaft itself was fine.

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
jetjock;1534986 said:
The oil filter could have gone into bypass but studies have shown full flow filters don't do much of anything anyway. It's what makes the huge marketing behind them so amusing. A good air filter is far more important to the engine's health. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

HAHA love that song if you've ever heard it, "...well That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Im a big country fan

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
Every 7M head I have seen in pieces (about 5) has wear like that on cams and bearings. It often seems worse near the front bearings and I always presumed that was due to overtightened timing belts.