Cams/Cam Journals... (How did this happen?)

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
How the hell does this happen.

p1534883_1.jpg

p1534883_2.jpg

p1534883_3.jpg

p1534883_4.jpg

If anyone has a good intake cam for sale ans possibly exhaust depending on price, please, please PM me and let me know.

Other than that... Ideas?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It does but that's easy for most oil filters, especially if they're changed too often which is what most people do. The tip off would be compressor blade leading edge erosion like the kind typically seen with K & N air filters.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jetjock;1534978 said:
It does but that's easy for most oil filters, especially if they're changed too often which is what most people do. The tip off would be compressor blade leading edge erosion like the kind typically seen with K & N air filters.
^ Well worth checking Fubar.

Still trying to get my head around how ingested dirt finds it's way to the Cam saddles though?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
The oil filter could have gone into bypass but studies have shown full flow filters don't do much of anything anyway. It's what makes the huge marketing behind them so amusing. A good air filter is far more important to the engine's health. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
LMAO I can see upper cylinder wear being an issue with bad air filters and I guess in time you could end up with enough wear that some crap would get by the rings into the crankcase then into the oiling system, I'd hope even the worst filter would catch the majority of this garbage.

Another scenario that comes to mind is a dirty assembly but I don't know this engines history.
(Filters take a LOT of crap before they'll bypass and being a 7M I'd sort of expect RK long before now)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, I think the typical bypass setting on most filters for this engine is around 16 psid. And you're right, the cause behind his problem is all speculation without knowing more. Iirc the saddle material is pretty soft although I don't recall if it's babbitted. Been too long ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Babbit is on the Journals, saddles are plain Al, another possible contributing factor will be an annealed head on the Ex side, be interesting to see the intake side for comparison.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
jetjock;1535015 said:
Me too. Takes more than a few beers to make me happy :)

Now you have me wondering how much dirt can enter through the PCV system...

I'd guess quite a bit looking at some pics I've seen of the 4mm orifice (well up until it blocks solid that is)

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I was also thinking.. this is probably not the case, but if someone with a BHG kept running their car, wouldn't the oil lose its lubricating ability.. and you might have metal to metal contact?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
jetjock;1535028 said:
Mine was actually very low (measured by manometer) but it was in good health. In that case blade erosion might be less. Or so I reason. I dunno. Ah well...it's not my engine ;)
Have to wait for some more detail from Fubar, mine are usually pretty good for 30>40k KM's then start to breath a little heavy but I put that down to the thin rings supplied for most forged pistons.

92TealSupra;1535033 said:
I was also thinking.. this is probably not the case, but if someone with a BHG kept running their car, wouldn't the oil lose its lubricating ability.. and you might have metal to metal contact?
Could be a factor that the gouges suggets it's had debris run through the cam saddles (it get's trapped in the soft babbit material on the cam journals and just gouges away till there's enough wear to escape)

Have to wonder at the Mains and Rod bearings at this stage.