Cam pulley pin?

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Just realized that after taking apart my JDM 7mgte that I did not make a
note of the orientation of the pulley on the cams. Of course there is a
pin in the end of the cam and three holes on the pulley. One I can tell it was
in the center hole on one pulley the other not so sure. Where are you guys putting the pin in new assemblies? The engine apears to be factory stock. Everything apears to be in very good shape (reported as having only 44K miles when purchased).
Does anyone know how to identfy the year of an engine are there codes on the block?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Wayne: The extra holes are a degree or so advanced and retarded so if there is any work been done to the motor or an timing belt stretch you can adjust it back to 0.

A little like adjustable pullies but on a smaller scale.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Like IJ said, If you put too thick of a MHG on, you can use these to fix your timing :) Thats what I had to do, and it worked like a charm.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Wayne: Yeah I was a bit surprised it was that far out!

This is the first 7M I've degreed in and it was a PITA to do for a few reasons, getting my magnetic dial indicator base somewhere to stick and then getting the plunger to contact the Shimless Bucket was a hassle but I'm glad I did it!

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
ok, i have decked my head and put in a hks metal gasket that is 1.2 mm so should i move my cams fowards or what?? I have my distributor fully advanced and it seems like it still isnt advanced enough. or should i pull the distributor out and advance the rotor by one tooth on the cam gear???

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
GrimJack said:
uh, which one? both? leave the pin in the center of the sprocket but move the cam forward (spin clockwise) so that the last pin hole in the cam lines up to the center pin holes in the sprockets, then i wouldnt have to touch the distributor right? because that would move with the intake cam.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You line up the cam gears first, without moving the cam pins if possible. Then put in the distributor and set the timing, if you can't get enough retard / advance on the timing you pull the distributor and move it a tooth.

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
GrimJack said:
You line up the cam gears first, without moving the cam pins if possible. Then put in the distributor and set the timing, if you can't get enough retard / advance on the timing you pull the distributor and move it a tooth.
o, ok. yeah because i have the cams right on the marks but the car doesnt seem to be advanced enough on the distributor. i dont have a timing light and plan on buying one though so i can double check it all. car runs good but just doesnt seem to rev as quick as it did before i did the head gasket when accelerating. thanks grim.