cam gear wobble?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Ok I went to the strip onfriday night... sat I started to hear a small tapping sound... I is coming from the intake cam... I just had the head decked and they have to take out the cams to do so.. I'm about to take off the valve cover and take a look... trying to get to TX2K10 on Friday... what could cause thisband what should I be looking for? My cam gear is on correctly and tight but you can see it wobble...

Thanks in advace for the help!

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
frontierguy25;1532728 said:
Ok I went to the strip onfriday night... sat I started to hear a small tapping sound... I is coming from the intake cam... I just had the head decked and they have to take out the cams to do so.. I'm about to take off the valve cover and take a look... trying to get to TX2K10 on Friday... what could cause thisband what should I be looking for? My cam gear is on correctly and tight but you can see it wobble...

Thanks in advace for the help!

Is this a wobble or a tap you hear? If the tapping, it could cause a slight wobble. I suggest checking the bolts behind the cam gear as it/they may be too long. I've put new ones in and they hit so I put allen button head in, instead.

Duane

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
upgradedsupra;1532742 said:
Is this a wobble or a tap you hear? If the tapping, it could cause a slight wobble. I suggest checking the bolts behind the cam gear as it/they may be too long. I've put new ones in and they hit so I put allen button head in, instead.

Duane

Duane, if this were so what would you get to replace it? The large washer on stock cam gears is large to hold the pin in place, or does it put a even amount of tension on the entire cam gear. A new hardened bolt would work fine?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
92TealSupra;1532752 said:
Duane, if this were so what would you get to replace it? The large washer on stock cam gears is large to hold the pin in place, or does it put a even amount of tension on the entire cam gear. A new hardened bolt would work fine?

I am speaking of the bolts behind the gears which hold the timing cover on. My gears were hitting ever so slightly with OEM bolts so I purchased allen, button head which have a smaller head. The OEM cam bolts are fine.

Duane

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
most likely you have mixed up shims or there out of clearance

simple feeler will do you wonders

intake is 006 and exhaust is 008

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
The cam gear wbbles but doesn't touch the plate or bolts that hold it in place.. I think that its something to with the cam since the cam gear is tight and doesn't hit anything.. I'm going to pull the cam covers off and have a look... I did just replace my head gasket and took it to a machine shop to get decked... they said they had to take out the cams so maybe something happened there? But it is a tapping that I hear for sure... just didn't start until I went to the track... but I'll update later this morning when I get the cover off..

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Factory locating pin behind the gear? If not, perhaps the pin is too long, and the washer hits it before the cam gear is fully tightened, allowing it to wobble slightly?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I have ran this head for a while now its been off a couple of times... but never had this wobble.. I was thinking that maybe when it was at the shop something happened to the cam and it got slightly bent? I'm going to throw another cam in there tonight and see if that helps... what's weird is I would think that the cam seal would leak if it wobbled a bit... but nothing yet?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Like Grim just said the shop swapped the caps so the intake cam has the looser caps on it... wheather or not that's causing the wobble I don't know.. but I'm going to pull the caps off tonight to see what I find.. gues its my fault for not noticing it when I got it back.. I made sure the numbers were correct but we will see how it looks tonight... hopefully I can fix it asap! To make it to TX2K10!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I would love to take it apart and back to them but its my only car...I'm changing out the cam caps they sll look good so far... also checking the valve clearences aswell.. got a spare cam gear going to install that too.. hopefully I can get this thing fixed by tomorrow!

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
frontierguy25;1533216 said:
I would love to take it apart and back to them but its my only car...I'm changing out the cam caps they sll look good so far... also checking the valve clearences aswell.. got a spare cam gear going to install that too.. hopefully I can get this thing fixed by tomorrow!

That's it, get it done!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
That sucks. You would think that they would match up the caps they took off and put them back on especially since they say I and E on them.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
ive had this happen but on an aftermarket gear. The pin hole on the gear actually widened over time causing a very noticeable knocking noise and the gear itself to be quite loose. Most likely not your problem but for those who may search this in the future its something to consider looking at.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Ok, Swapped out the cam caps.. swapped cam gears... checked everything.... Now I think I have piston slap or something... It doesn't sound like rod knock... But something.. I made the 250mile drive to Houston and beat the shit out of it and it still is the same... but don't think that I'll be racing this weekend... A couple of the guys here are going to help me out today... it seems like everyone wants to see me run! which is a nice feeling.. However I am 250 miles from home...