Cam Degreeing - Pics?

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Ok, so I'm looking to degree my cams tomorrow after not being able to last weekend, and I'm having a bit of an issue. I know I have to mount the fixture and gauge so that the tip of the gauge rests on the bucket face, but I'm not exactly sure how this is accomplished with the cam lobe taking up about 90% of the surface area. If anyone has any pics of how this is pulled off, I'd appreciate it if you'd post 'em. Or, if you can describe it in enough detail that I can picture it in my head, that'd work too.

Thanks,

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Bump -- Ok, tried a search, but couldn't come up with anything. Does anyone know the specs for the factory turbo cams, and the proper event timings and what not? (what crank degree the lobe should start opening, etc.) It just occurred to me that this info would probably be good to have when degreeing my cams, since otherwise I'd be pretty much doing squat.

Thanks,

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Zumtizzle;1395910 said:
Reason being, I said have the Head CC'ed was because i had my head surfaced and a LOT of material was taken off, and when i had it CC'edit wasn't too bad.

As for degreeing cams This vid may help they go into cams at around 3:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MsqA-C3vGI

Yeah, I've got that video saved, doesn't help me -- it's a 2J and they're using aftermarket cams.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Well seeing as you're completely stock just line the crank to 0 and use aftermarket cam gears to line up the pins on the camshafts to the matchmarks as toyota already did their R&D.

But Doward degreed his stock cams and will chime in I guess.

Main thing is you don't want your CAMs to loop.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Zumtizzle;1396076 said:
Well seeing as you're completely stock just line the crank to 0 and use aftermarket cam gears to line up the pins on the camshafts to the matchmarks as toyota already did their R&D.

But Doward degreed his stock cams and will chime in I guess.

Main thing is you don't want your CAMs to loop.

Normally I'd do that, but with the head gasket being thinner than I needed, the cams sit closer to the block...so they need to be degreed in to line everything back up properly to factory spec.