calling all turbo W58 owners

iceberg319

vvti, what?
Apr 6, 2005
NJ
www.cardomain.com
ive done a lot of searching and asking but need a final decision. my trd clutch is toast as i jus found out earlier, and need a clutch. i kno i should switch to a r154 but at the moment its not an option. i do daily drive my car but i dont mine running a harsh clutch as long as it holds. clutch jobs are tedious and id like to do it as little as possible.

here are my current mods:

7MGE-T
ct26@13psi
MAFT-blow thru
intake
bic ddp
no cats
tanabe hyper medallion
fidanza flywheel

here is a list of clutches im considering

ACT 6 puck & ACT HD PP
SPEC stage 3
Southbend stage 3
Clutchnet carbon disc and HD PP

so far im really considering the ACT. im hesitant on SPEC clutches because from what i hear its a upgraded disk and stock PP. i havent heard much about southbend or clutchnet

opinions welcome

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i have a 6 puck ceramic disk in my w58 and its holding greattttt.

a guy out on LI makes them. all you need to do is give him your old disc so he can use the hub and get the dimensions right. let me dig up the reciept with his number.

better yet (cause im lazy) ask QWIKSTRIKE for the guys number.

oh did i mention you will pay a lot less for the disc alone than if you were to get an ACT or other big name aftermarket disk?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
is there a clutch disc size difference between the r-154 and w58? because i've been running an autozone clutch w/ the same mods (not maft) and it seems to hold up just fine, maybee a little slipping in 1st, but that's it

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
iceberg319 said:
^^^^how many miles have u been using it? are they reputable?
been using it for 3k miles... i believe they also have a lifetime warrantee on em, might wanna call and check on that, but either napa or autozone does sell clutches w/ lifetime warrantees, but it's gonna get to the point when you put a new one in, and you're making so much power, that it'll just roast it w/ in a day after break in :icon_bigg

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
The clutch discs are the same. I've used a 6-puck I had in a W58 in an R154
and it worked just fine for years. When I called RPS a few years ago to get a
clutch disc, I asked them to check, and he part numbers for all R154 and all
W58 are the same (clutch DISC ONLY) the pressure plate and flywheel are
different however.

SnowMongoose

May 20, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I'm rockin a spec stage 3 on my GTE + W58 combo....

holds great, only problem is that the tranny is now randomly on the verge of grenading.
based on the grindy sounds that is.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I'm using a Spec Stage 3 on my w58... I like it... Its a VERY stock feel, I almost wish it grabbed a bit harder. its holding my power though, and I can definatly roast up my tires if I want...

I'm running @ 12PSI