CajunKenny's Build Thread

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
CajunKenny;1655552 said:
These are the stock calipers. I'm doing this for two reasons. One, is I wanted to see how red will look on my car for when I upgrade to Wilwoods. The second reason is because I can't spring for the Wilwoods right now so this will have to hold me over till I can. ;)

I see. Good idea. I bought Doward's kit almost 2 years ago and have yet to install it. In hindsight, I should've waited and saved for the Willwoods, but oh well.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
You should notice a big difference in stopping power with Doward's kit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was off and on as far as the Supra went. I just finished up putting the last coat of paint on the passenger side rear caliper. I'll un-tape that in the morning.

I went ahead and loosed up all of the struts and removed all of the TEMS. Now I'm just waiting on my coilovers to arrive.

Here's the back hatch gutted.

p1655724_1.jpg

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
SWD Fredester 3;1655787 said:
Looks like a good time to clean up the surface rust in the tire well.

What speakers are you using with your stereo?

I've already started on the rust issue. The rust is due to this being a Seattle car before I got it.

I'm running a JL 8" Sub. All other speakers are stock. Now might be a good time to upgrade the rears eh!? :)

Supra28;1655826 said:
Time to get rid of wheel gap!! What coilovers are you getting?

Wheel gap wasn't too bad with the H&R Springs. The reason I'm switching it Coilovers is because of two leaking struts and the fact that I want a little bit of rake. The springs just don't give me that. I've got a set of Zankoku Coilovers coming.

SC61 MK3;1655873 said:
awesome build man

Thanks! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the passenger side calipers are now done. Here they are:

p1655892_1.jpg

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
What type of an AMP are you running? I do have a set of 5 1/4" MB Quart Q rear speakers mounted in the stock rear boxes along with the tweeters. These are original from Germany, before Rockford bought the company. Also have 6 1/2" QSD front speakers. I had them bi-amped with twin Alpine amps and a separate Kicker amp for the sub. They can take some juice and do sound great. I had actually mounted the crossovers exposed in the back because they look good.
I wish I had a pic of the old set up, that's the reason I originally removed the rear seats. 3 amp rack was mounted where the lower rear seat was located with a hinged cover for access.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
supramk3speed;1655908 said:
I heard good things about zankoku coilovers, there the ones i want to get.

Yeah, what really sets them apart from others in that price range is that they are rebuildable.

SWD Fredester 3;1655913 said:
What type of an AMP are you running? I do have a set of 5 1/4" MB Quart Q rear speakers mounted in the stock rear boxes along with the tweeters. These are original from Germany, before Rockford bought the company. Also have 6 1/2" QSD front speakers. I had them bi-amped with twin Alpine amps and a separate Kicker amp for the sub. They can take some juice and do sound great. I had actually mounted the crossovers exposed in the back because they look good.
I wish I had a pic of the old set up, that's the reason I originally removed the rear seats. 3 amp rack was mounted where the lower rear seat was located with a hinged cover for access.

I'm currently only running one amp to power the sub. It's JL also.

Those Quart Q's almost sound like collector items! ;) I'll bet they sound sweet! I wish you did have a pic of your old setup. It sounds like a sight to behold!

It looks like the rear speakers are 4". Is that what you had/have in the back or did you upgrade?

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
The rear speakers were upgraded to the 5" Q's. I had to remove a little from the top inside of the stock housing but they fit nice. The Q's were 1 step down from the front 6 1/2" QSD's, they use a much bigger crossover. I think at the time the QSD's were around $1200.. You just need a pretty big amp to drive them right.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
It doesn't get much better than the old-school German MB Quarts. I run 2 pairs in both of my cars. They were $599/pair back in the late 90's and won most of the SQ sound competitions in those days. Because the new ones are so cheap, and not nearly as good, the old ones sell for cheap. I got 2 pairs for $60 on eBay!

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
CajunKenny;1655724 said:
You should notice a big difference in stopping power with Doward's kit.

I'm really hoping to get it done before spring, but have a lot more to do.

The painted calipers look great. Something that I will do before I install them.

You'll absolutely love the coilovers. Good luck with the install and enjoy! :D

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Kenny, just wanted to give you a heads up on a soon to be 7M "high performance" part out, you get first dibs and a great price if you need anything bro. Check out my latest post in my build thread if you need a list. Going 2JZ, I love the 7M but hey, at least I'm not parting out the Supra!

Mike

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
^Thanks Mike! Kinda sorry to hear it; but, in a perfect world I'd have two Supras and one would have a 2J! ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. The Courier Gods were good to me today!

p1656754_1.jpg

Box#1: My Lower Ball Joints

p1656754_2.jpg

Box#2: My Coilovers

p1656754_3.jpg

p1656754_4.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Good job on choosing to replace the ball joints. Before I drop in my engine, I am going to replace all the front suspension parts as well. Upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, control arm bushings with polyurethane bushings and sway bar busings as well. Then put on my Tiens SS. I just like Tiens', I am not knocking the coilovers Ace sells, but I always have used Tiens and just been baised to every other brand except HKS.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
IBoughtASupra;1656765 said:
Good job on choosing to replace the ball joints. Before I drop in my engine, I am going to replace all the front suspension parts as well. Upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, control arm bushings with polyurethane bushings and sway bar busings as well. Then put on my Tiens SS. I just like Tiens', I am not knocking the coilovers Ace sells, but I always have used Tiens and just been baised to every other brand except HKS.

I'd LOVE to replace everything at once; but, being that I'm still trying to recover from Christmas, I'll settle for just the lower ball joints. ;)

mk3tattoos;1656819 said:
nice!!!! the gods were good to you:) car is going to handle so good!!!!

I hope so. Honestly, my concern is it being too stiff of a ride. Which is why I didn't get the pillow ball mounts. But, yeah....I can't wait!! :D

SupraRon;1656833 said:
Nice Ken. Let me know how the ball joint install goes. I have to replace mine too. Get them from DM?

You know me....I'll be posting pics! :) I got mine from www.Rockauto.com. ;)

Supra0089;1656914 said:
I gave up on my ball joints...had toyota do it :p

Goodluck

This is NOT encouraging... ;)

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
IBoughtASupra;1656765 said:
Upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, control arm bushings with polyurethane bushings and sway bar busings as well. Then put on my Tiens SS.

I know I'm being a downer...but...I failed at the lower ball joints...and then when I was having Toyota do them, I asked them about the uppers...and their head mechanic (I know him personally), laughed at me and said...please don't make me do those upper ones...he then went on to say that in their record book...they had never done an upper set in history...and then quoted me like a grand to do them...

Just sayin...

Best of luck though (and I really mean that)