Bypassing the Neutral Start Switch???

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I did a lot of searching and couldn't find a direct answer. Here's my situation...I put a soarer 1jz with the A/T ECU in my 1991 turbo with the R154. Everything is wired right (odom helped me and he did the same wires and his is running).

The car is getting power and everything. But, when i turn the key I get nothing. How exactly do I bypass the neutral start switch (jumper which wire to which wire). Please help me. It's killing me. Thanks guys.

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
look at the clutch pedal bracket, and you will see a cylinder with a little button that the top of the clutch pedal contacts whenever it is pressed down.

that is the clutch start switch. just jump the two wires on the harness side to bypass.

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I shouldn't need to do that because I'm pressing in the clutch when I turn the key. My problem is the ecu came from an AUTO and now it in a manual car.

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
oh, ok. you will see a big, round 3-wire plug near the starter that has some thick gauge wires.

jump the blue and the white wire I believe.

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
that is the plug that goes to the NSW of the automatic trans. jumping the two wires simply closes the NSW circuit, allowing you to start the car. with the key.

you asked how to bypass it, there you go.

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Thank you very much ITR and IJ. I will give it a try when I get up tomorrow and hopefully report good news on my Build Thread.

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
So, you could crank it without pushing in the clutch? If so, knowing me, I'd have to buy a new bumper if ya know what I mean.:biglaugh:

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
If left in gear while trying to start it. A lil off topic, but I could unplug the switch if I were ever to put in a remote start?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Push the Clutch in Crank motor = trashed Thrust bearings and Crankwalk :(
(with an aftermarket clutch)

Dunno about the remote it all depends on what safeties it needs, the Tremec I just pulled out has a proper Neutral Switch in it for the USA market.
(none of our cars had the clutch switch for anything other than Cruise Control cancel)

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
IJ. said:
Push the Clutch in Crank motor = trashed Thrust bearings and Crankwalk :(
(with an aftermarket clutch)

Dunno about the remote it all depends on what safeties it needs, the Tremec I just pulled out has a proper Neutral Switch in it for the USA market.
(none of our cars had the clutch switch for anything other than Cruise Control cancel)

Yeah they have to make it idiot proof for us, go figure.

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
itr.00-1282 said:
oh, ok. you will see a big, round 3-wire plug near the starter that has some thick gauge wires.

jump the blue and the white wire I believe.

that is the plug that goes to the NSW of the automatic trans. jumping the two wires simply closes the NSW circuit, allowing you to start the car. with the key.

I can't seem to find it. I am using the R154, not the auto. Is it plugged into anything or just sitting there loose since I'm not using an Auto?

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Well, I got that problem fixed. It was a black and black/white wire that I had to connect. So, the car cranks now. But, my fuel pump isn't getting any power. Now I'm stuck trying to get power to that.