Buying a MK3 with a 1JZ conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronB

Aug 4, 2012
Georgia
*poste this thread twice by accident (damn ipod) but since it has a response it can be left or deleted, admins choice*

Ok, so we all know the big 7m vs. 1jz debate on which is better. Some prefer the 1jz, but its very expensive to swap in and will have similar performance to a tuned 7m. Now what if the car already has a 1jz conversion?

In my area I found a mk3 with a 1jz, only about $1,000 more than a similarly built 7m mk3. In that sense is the 1jz the way to go or still stick with a 7m.

Last edited:

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
I bought mine with the swap. It's only worth it if the "swappee" did a very good job, took his time and performed the swap with quality. Main concern is the engine harness. Check to see if any cut wires are left bare. But most of all pull the ecu down and check the extended wires and butt connections. If they're not taped or heat shrinked then he doesn't know enough about wiring and I would steer clear. Take it for a very long drive. Get the engine and ecu nice and warm. 1jz ecus have very weak capacitors. Over time they'll pop and leak onto the circuit boards and will cause the ecu to malfunction. I test drove mine for about an hour and it seemed fine. But half way home the ecu started to die. And after the drive check for codes. If all is good then you'd be very happy with a 1jz.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.