buyin a used 7mgte, lookin for some guidance

lost compression in my old motor, found a deal on another one.
my motor has rigged wiring no compression, and just want the headache to be gone.
the new motor needs new coilpack (but i can use mine from my old one) other than that its "good"
i wanna make sure i dont get screwed so is there anything i can do to ensure im buying a good engine?
the engine is not in the car so i cannot perform a leak down test or a compression test.
looking for guidance not a bunch of smartass remarks :D thank you guys

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Is the engine on a stand? You can test compression on a motor thats not installed.
You just need to hook jumper cables to the starter positive and ground, then trigger the solenoind with positive.
You can also certainly do a leakdown with the engine out of the car.

Other than that, You can look at the oil fill cap for muddy(milkshake) oil, and drain some of the oil from the pan to look for contamination from coolant, or particulates.
Also, take the thermostat out and check for contamination there.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
I would ask to pull the oil pan off completely and check for metallic flakes in there. Cheaper to by a new oil pan gasket than new motor. The thing is though until you just rebuild a used 7mgte the right way your going to probably keep going through used motors...unless they have been rebuilt correctly previously.. Just my opinion

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Brandon Hilden;1945866 said:
...my motor has ni99er rigged wiring no compression...

I ignored this as an unintentional phrase, but be aware that we do have a strong black demographic in this forum, and they might not think it a harmless error.

mrmk3supra_wrx

Jan 21, 2013
port richey fl
jetjock;1946001 said:
"ni99er rigged?"

I'm curious, what kind of remarks were you looking for with that?

IJ.;1946008 said:
Offensive remark removed...

OP Do it again and your stay here will be short..

Hahaha that is funny tho . But yea the jump starting idea should work but i always check fluids, housings for rust, if "its supposed to have metal head gasket and head studs pull the valve cover you can plainly tell arps from stock head bolts but also pulling the valve cover and looking for discoloration around the head and or checking the valves, springs, etc. can tell you the condition of the motor, how long its been since its been ran