Building an Engine "Tight"

HeWhoOvercomes

Vrooom VROOOM
Apr 23, 2011
The Corner of Happy & Healthy
Hi all! I just dropped off my 7M at the machine shop, with a complete list of tolerances from the TSRM. I've read most of the guides on here regarding machining and rebuilding these things, so I brought it to the machinist's attention that I want to build the engine "tight". But then I got to wondering what "tight" actually means. Is it anything within the prescribed tolerances in the TSRM, or should I lean toward the smaller clearance. BTW, I'm mostly talking about oil clearance.

To those of you with experience building 7M's, what advise can you give me on setting crank, rod, and cam oil clearances?

Thanks!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A huge effect, Tight is fine for a standard rebuild, ignore all the "it's not a Chevy so needs to be built tight" BULLSHIT that people spout, I stupidly ignore my better instincts when I built my first 7M and had nothing but problems with it, went back to tried and true clearances I'd used in just about every engine I'd ever built and guess what no problems...

Low to mid 2's for your 450ish, I'd be going high 2's for 600, any tighter you're going to see funky wear patterns on the bearings as the block wet noodles all over the place..

HeWhoOvercomes

Vrooom VROOOM
Apr 23, 2011
The Corner of Happy & Healthy
So, it looks like that puts me a bit above the TSRM tolerance. Is there any trade-up in longevity when you make the clearances larger? I mean, obviously if you run a 700 hp motor with stock oil clearance you'll kill the motor a lot faster, but if you only run 300 hp with 600 hp clearances, is that extra space going to have consequences?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
The loose set up may be true. But then how can a stock block MKIV make 650 rwhp all day long on stock clearances?

The factory engine is what most people would call "blueprinted". Select fit bearings that are .0001 difference.

And select fit pistons to bore.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
super51fan;1986379 said:
The loose set up may be true. But then how can a stock block MKIV make 650 rwhp all day long on stock clearances?

The factory engine is what most people would call "blueprinted". Select fit bearings that are .0001 difference.

stock block 7m's will make more than that, and stock block 2jz's will make a lot more than that (both reliably for thousands of miles) ::dead horse:: A lot of factors come into play as to why engines fail. If Ian's had as much success as he has assembling the engine the way he did... that's that.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
super51fan;1986379 said:

Aren't too many Factory Fresh engines making that sort of power....