Build up 7MGTE or go 1JZ?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I could get a free 2JZ-GTE... and it would STILL be cheaper to build a 7M-GTE and drop it into my car.

Unless the Free 2JZ-GTE also came with a free wiring harness adapted for the A70 chassis, ECU, and R154 bellhousing.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
My 2JZ....

This STARTED at $5k, and that was without extra electronics purchased like AFPR, SAFC Neo, Zeitronix LCD package, and AEM TruBoost. Factor in Walbro 400, Mishi IC, custom piping everywhere, replacement silicon hoses, and other custom parts, and we are cresting $7.5k.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Dan_Gyoba;1941780 said:
I could get a free 2JZ-GTE... and it would STILL be cheaper to build a 7M-GTE and drop it into my car.

Unless the Free 2JZ-GTE also came with a free wiring harness adapted for the A70 chassis, ECU, and R154 bellhousing.
Way to be a party pooper DAN

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Dan_Gyoba;1941780 said:

Don't know when the last time you did a 2jzgte swap, but that would only be $900.

Harness $200
Ecu $250
Bell $250
Fly $200
Wire your harness yourself $50

Total $1000 max.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
S.A. supra;1941828 said:
Don't know when the last time you did a 2jzgte swap, but that would only be $900.

Harness $200
Ecu $250
Bell $250
Fly $200
Wire your harness yourself $50

Total $1000 max.

not just the swap he's talking about building it too...saying the 7m is still cheaper to build even with a free 2j

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
BryanDyer;1941821 said:
sometimes the truth hurts my friend...
lol yea I know, wasn't saying it would still be cheaper to build a free 2jz over a 7m I just wanted to have some fun with that

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Drake, nice 2j. I'm at around $8000 total to buy the car and do the swap. I still need to connect the downpipe to my exhaust. Hopefully I can keep it under 10k.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Drake69;1941815 said:
My 2JZ....

This STARTED at $5k, and that was without extra electronics purchased like AFPR, SAFC Neo, Zeitronix LCD package, and AEM TruBoost. Factor in Walbro 400, Mishi IC, custom piping everywhere, replacement silicon hoses, and other custom parts, and we are cresting $7.5k.

Also, you have to remember... your not counting the R&D time to accumulate parts, get the color scheme/bling like you want, engine bay clean up.. etc.. etc...

Most of you guys with the "HOLY CRAP!" engine bays don't talk about that... but its not an easy feat. A shop does not typically do that for you. You cannot pull the engine and rebuild it in 2 days and pop it in on the 3rd day and say.. wow... nice bay. It just doesn't work that way in real life. Not even talking about the fact that your wiring is totally different and your battery fell out.

Its hard to remember that when looking at those pictures..

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Doat;1941885 said:
Oh yea with an FFIM you have to relocate the battery huh?

No.. just simpler in some cases I believe. Same with AC delete.. easier.. but not necessary.

All has to do with the builder. I have seen a lot of hacked 2jz installs though... more than I have seen pretty ones. (other than pictures)

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Grandavi;1941876 said:
Also, you have to remember... your not counting the R&D time to accumulate parts, get the color scheme/bling like you want, engine bay clean up.. etc.. etc...

Most of you guys with the "HOLY CRAP!" engine bays don't talk about that... but its not an easy feat. A shop does not typically do that for you. You cannot pull the engine and rebuild it in 2 days and pop it in on the 3rd day and say.. wow... nice bay. It just doesn't work that way in real life. Not even talking about the fact that your wiring is totally different and your battery fell out.

Its hard to remember that when looking at those pictures..

Agreed. It's been over a year now, nearly a year and a half (thanks to an individual that screwed with me on my wiring harness who shall remain nameless here), that my car has been down since I pulled the trigger on this build. A custom balanced 1-piece driveshaft and proper tune are all that stands in my way of completing this beast. And I didn't even account for the double-DIN radio/GPS which I got as a gift, nor the batt relocation in the trunk.

It's definitely been an adventure.

leezymk3

Sep 1, 2012
nashville
If I have to pick between them two.i go with a 7m just cuz its a 3.0
But I went with a 2jzgte
here another motvation picture
p1941931_1.jpg

p1941931_2.jpg

aka paco

I just say take the 1JZ out of options, most people that do 1jz swaps end up with a 2jz of sorts anyways..

1JZ ecu's suck, do a little searching. the only fix is Standalone or convert to a 2jz ecu

2.5liters can make power but why not have a 3.0L if you end up going 1.5jz you mine as well start with a 2jz from the start..

I've owned 3 MK3's

a super clean 92 teal with shadow gray (best condition one i had)
re-torqued arp headstuds new HG, lexus afm, 550's, 57 trim ct.. full exhaust I personally think the 7M sounded the best.
nothing but problems with the motor, pain to work on compared to a JZ and i was always worried it was gonna leave me stranded which it did several times..
BHG

owned a 1.5JZ mk3, loved it, had alot of problems with the 1jz ecu's car probably went through 4 or 5 of them until a friend bought the car and converted it to use a 2jzgte ecu..

now i own a 2jzgte mk3

attachment.php

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
After my previous comment, I should add, either engine bay when given a high level of thought to detail is just so damn nice to see. The 3000 pipe crossover is the one thing I dislike on the 7m. But, it can be done very sexy as well.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Grandavi;1941962 said:
After my previous comment, I should add, either engine bay when given a high level of thought to detail is just so damn nice to see. The 3000 pipe crossover is one of the things I dislike on the 7m. But, it can be done very sexy as well.

Fixed it for you^. Don't forget the coil packs, all those damn hoses, and messy plug wires.