Brian Crower or Ferrea???

freemoneey

Finally, it's ALIVE...
Jun 8, 2008
Dearborn Hts,MI
I need some advice from fellow Supra owners.:1zhelp:

I am in the process of getting my 7MGTE head worked on.
After a BHG, I decided to rebuild my engine, and right now the head is going to be prepped for +1mm valves,
BUT that is were I am stuck.
-go with Brian Crower VALVE SPRING/RETAINER KIT and STAINLESS STEEL VALVES

Or

-Ferrea Spr/Loc/Ret/Seat and Ferrea valves

The brian crower is cheaper to the ferrea but I don't know if they have good quality.

I have never used either brand in the past.
If anybody has had any experience with either brand with the 7m, please share your experiences.

One thing the machine shop did say was that a lot of hondas go with brian crower engine internals.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
What kind of hp are you trying to make? BC heads are big $$...fill in the rest of the parts list, bro! Oversize valves are great, but if you aren't shooting for mega hp, money might be more effectively spent elsewhere, imho, gl.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I install the BC valves, springs and retainers all the time and have no problems with any of the BC Valve train. However, a dual spring setup (like the one Ferrera sells) is much safer for a big cam higher redline motor. Don't want to be breaking a spring on a single set up.

freemoneey

Finally, it's ALIVE...
Jun 8, 2008
Dearborn Hts,MI
NewWestSupras;1417940 said:
What kind of hp are you trying to make? BC heads are big $$...fill in the rest of the parts list, bro! Oversize valves are great, but if you aren't shooting for mega hp, money might be more effectively spent elsewhere, imho, gl.

The HP I want is at least 450-500 to the wheels. And I know that I can't get there with my stock turbo.
What would be considered mega-HP for the 7m?

gofastgeorge;1417982 said:
Ferrea hands down.
No where near the problems in workmanship as BC has all over the net.

That's why, I am asking because of quality issues with BC that pop up. And I do have such fears of their quality at BC.

An Update:

Today I spoke to my machine shop guy and he says that one setup we can do would be is:
BC VALVE SPRING/RETAINER KIT with the Ferrea Competition valves(oversized)

And do a port of the head, but he is quoting me another $250 for the port alone on top of the parts and the labor charged already (for fixing the BHG)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
What is your budget?

Plenty of power to be had elsewhere prior to going crazy with the head.

If money is no object. Talk with DelWest directly but be prepared to open checkbook wide.

freemoneey

Finally, it's ALIVE...
Jun 8, 2008
Dearborn Hts,MI
figgie;1418087 said:
What is your budget?

Plenty of power to be had elsewhere prior to going crazy with the head.

If money is no object. Talk with DelWest directly but be prepared to open checkbook wide.

I do have a budget, and i would pass my budget if I go with the BC spring kit and the ferrea valves and the porting.
Because i originally had planned to only fix the head and get a MHG plus the ARP bolts and spend money on the block to get rods and pistons and bearings.

My question to you (figgie) and anybody else with knowledge is: is it worth it doing the Bc spring kit with the ferrea AND not do a port of the head?

I am in the ropes about deciding which way to go with my supra, i want everything, but reality bites you and have to think of the best method to achieve such a goal with a budget.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Completly stock head will do 450 to 500 hp, and if that is your goal, then it is a wast of money to do so much work to make a 900hp head. If you have a big budget, do the work to the head now. If you are not made of money, then spend your budget on the block and all the other items (fuel, ECU, Monitor devices). A good stock head rebuild with comp springs upgrade, stock valves with a 3 angle valve job, and properly shimmed cams will net your goal easy with a small t-4 turbo.

freemoneey

Finally, it's ALIVE...
Jun 8, 2008
Dearborn Hts,MI
suprarich;1418132 said:
Completly stock head will do 450 to 500 hp, and if that is your goal, then it is a wast of money to do so much work to make a 900hp head. If you have a big budget, do the work to the head now. If you are not made of money, then spend your budget on the block and all the other items (fuel, ECU, Monitor devices). A good stock head rebuild with comp springs upgrade, stock valves with a 3 angle valve job, and properly shimmed cams will net your goal easy with a small t-4 turbo.

suprarich:
I am not made of money and I like your suggestion for the head to do a head rebuild with the comp springs upgrade the stock valves and the 3 angle valve job.

Which comp springs are you thinking of for the upgrade?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
You will need two boxes of comp cams part number 975-12. They are a tight fit but do fit. Will work with your stock retainers and locks.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I used BC springs and retainers along with Ferria 1mm oversized valves. I did manage to burn up one of the ferria valves..tuning issue..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprarich;1418053 said:
I install the BC valves, springs and retainers all the time and have no problems with any of the BC Valve train. However, a dual spring setup (like the one Ferrera sells) is much safer for a big cam higher redline motor. Don't want to be breaking a spring on a single set up.

spring.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Lots of 8300 rpm, it was an outer Ferrea.

If it had been a Single anything I'd have lost the entire engine, as it was it made the 40Km return trip and the only sign was it would backfire/miss on boost as it blew that valve open.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
what about bc valves/seats/retainers with ferrea dual springs? or are the bc valves not very great?

asking because it is thread appropriate and what I was thinking about doing with my build

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
For a 500 rwhp engine, valvetrain modifications would not be my priority. Make sure everything meets OEM specs and spend your money elsewhere.

ricoboost

Jun 20, 2007
quebec
Moy;1418465 said:
what about bc valves/seats/retainers with ferrea dual springs? or are the bc valves not very great?

i have asking the same question because the guy who build my motor said stainless valve are way better but need the dual valve spring setup too i want to run sip billet staggered cam