Victoria BC
well i have tail 50 bov

and i think going to install it per intercooler now you ask why am i doing this

a it will be louder
b it wonte stick as bad when cold
c wonte surge as bad

down fall that i can think of

a hotter air temps
b may cause slow respones at full boost ????

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It won't be able to vent as much, either - you can get more air through it when the air is colder.

It will definitely slow down response, because you'll have to re-pressurize the intake tract after the BOV location on every shift.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
50 mill it big so the hot air to cold air thing i can see being much of an issue as in cappsity

but the venting to slow respones is what i kinda really trying to figure out will i really notice it

full race has there bov per intercooler for some honda stuff and they so really nice stuff as in kits ect

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I thought the point of the BOV was to release the air by the throttle body so that way it didnt blow it apart??? Wouldnt it help surge if it was closer to the throttle body anyways???

Or you could mount it to the intercooler, like stock WRX's...

Isnt the response of a Tial already really slow to begin with?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The point of a BOV is to prevent surging along the intake tract back into the compressor side of your turbo.

The closer you can mount it to the throttle plate, the less volume you have to re-compress after you open the throttle and start to build boost again.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
^ exactly. Compressor surge starts at the throttle plate. One would want to put the BOV as close to the source as possible. Some people even mount BOVs on their TB's if they are big enough.

D-Dayve

Still in pieces...
Close to the TB is what makes sense to me for several reasons. The two biggest are:

ONE
GrimJack said:
The point of a BOV is to prevent surging along the intake tract back into the compressor side of your turbo.

The closer you can mount it to the throttle plate, the less volume you have to re-compress after you open the throttle and start to build boost again.

and TWO
It's hardest to get air through your intercooler since it's probably the biggest impedance in your intake system. If you put a BOV before the intercooler, when it goes off, the air in the intercooler will want to flow backwards to get out, this will slow the airflow through the system and cause a hickup.

If you put the BOV AFTER the intercooler, but before the throttle plate, you maintain that airflow through the intercooler and intake system.

Air has weight, and thus inertia and therefore must be thought of as a freight train. If it's moving in a certain direction, it doesn't WANT to stop. If you MAKE it stop, you're wasting power because it does take time to get going again. Keep the inertia going through the intercooler since that's where you'll lose the most energy and mount the BOV close to the throttle body.

supraslo

Slaying Cobras
Jul 29, 2007
Burlington NC
www.myspace.com
Mount as close to the TB as possible. It will be more efficient and louder, I had a customer mount his pre-intercooler and had experienced some "funky" issues and I moved the bov to a proper location and it cured it.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
funny bean reading about it and some german cars came with it per inter cooler

they all wasy think diffent but there must have bena reson

and gonna mont mine on my inter cooler any way

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
im having trouble myself. my stock one comes from the accordian hose to the 3000 pipe, and has a vacuum line running after the TB. well the one i want to put on comes out of the 3000 pipe but then it only has a vacuum line, i cant put it back into the accordian hose. i put the vacuum hose were my stock one was. im just not sure if this is right. most everything on my car is in need of help. the guy before just blocked off the part it goes into on the accordian hose with duct tape....

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
ThirstyMKthrice;946509 said:
im having trouble myself. my stock one comes from the accordian hose to the 3000 pipe, and has a vacuum line running after the TB. well the one i want to put on comes out of the 3000 pipe but then it only has a vacuum line, i cant put it back into the accordian hose. i put the vacuum hose were my stock one was. im just not sure if this is right. most everything on my car is in need of help. the guy before just blocked off the part it goes into on the accordian hose with duct tape....
This will probably work, but it's less than ideal. Unless you also have a different air measuring device than the stock AFM, this will vent measured air during shifts, causing you to run extremely rich momentarily.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No, that's not the problem.

The stock bypass valve vents air from the 3000 pipe into the accordion pipe. The setup you have vents from the 3000 pipe to open atmosphere.

To fix it, you would need to re-route the waste air from your BOV back into that hole in the accordion pipe.

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
well one end of it is big enough for a hose and i put it on the 3000 pipe, the other end is for a vacuum line. on the accordian there is that little vacuum line on the underside. on mine its just got a vac line with a screw on the end of it (lol i didnt do that) should i just plug the other end of the bov into that?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No. The BOV that you have connects to the 3000 pipe and the original vacuum line.

If you wanted to fix the rich on shifts problem, it would need to connect to the accordion hose ALSO - at the big connection that I assume is currently plugged with duct tape.

The small line off the bottom of the accordion hose goes almost straight down to the power steering.