BOV installed, just double checking.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
bovinstalled.jpg

Removed the original blow off valve, plugged the holes, new vac hose shortened up. Anything I missed or not looking right?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Looks fine to me. You going to leave it venting to atmosphere or you going to recirculate it? Keep in mind the pig rich shifts if you're leaving it just to atmosphere ;)

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I posted this on alberta supra club and their was a fair ammount of positive feedbacks. But it's always nice to hear other opinions.

MPG loss, reason being?

lewis15498;1385428 said:
i would strongly reccomend you plumb it back into your intake.

A couple people suggested recirculatory bovs > venting to the atmosphere but I don't quite understand why? Most turbo sleds I've seen are ran the same way.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Beals;1385689 said:
I posted this on alberta supra club and their was a fair ammount of positive feedbacks. But it's always nice to hear other opinions.

MPG loss, reason being?

A couple people suggested recirculatory bovs > venting to the atmosphere but I don't quite understand why? Most turbo sleds I've seen are ran the same way.

Venting into the atmosphere is perfectly fine if your running a speed density setup. You are running the AFM so you shouldnt. The AFM counts the air as it goes thru it, into the intake. Your ECU uses this figure to calculate how much fuel used. When you vent into the atmosphere, you loose ALOT of said counted air. So then, the computer adds fuel for air that it doesnt have causing it to run very rich. Side effects include Poor MPG, Shitty idle, loss of performance, and stalling after shifts under boost. A recirculated BOV takes the air blown off and puts it back in the system between the AFM and the turbo, solving this problem.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
The air is metered at the AFM, it then goes through the turbo,IC,then out the bov when opened. The benefit of recirc. Is the metered air stays in the system keeping the right balance of air and fuel. Venting will lose that air while the fuel is still being injected because it doesn't know the air has escaped.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
lewis15498;1385738 said:
Venting into the atmosphere is perfectly fine if your running a speed density setup. You are running the AFM so you shouldnt. The AFM counts the air as it goes thru it, into the intake. Your ECU uses this figure to calculate how much fuel used. When you vent into the atmosphere, you loose ALOT of said counted air. So then, the computer adds fuel for air that it doesnt have causing it to run very rich. Side effects include Poor MPG, Shitty idle, loss of performance, and stalling after shifts under boost. A recirculated BOV takes the air blown off and puts it back in the system between the AFM and the turbo, solving this problem.

:nono: It will only do the above when the BOV is actaully venting. It WONT affect idle and such. Your mainly going to see a stall or almost stall inbetween shifts when boosting and you clutch and don't get back on the throttle. Some people get lucky... Some get lots of stalling, you'll see for yourself. It won't hurt anything.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
dumbo;1385756 said:
:nono: It will only do the above when the BOV is actaully venting. It WONT affect idle and such. Your mainly going to see a stall or almost stall inbetween shifts when boosting and you clutch and don't get back on the throttle. Some people get lucky... Some get lots of stalling, you'll see for yourself. It won't hurt anything.

I'm assuming that the OP just threw the BOV on and didnt adjust the spring pressue, and the spring pressure on a nev BOV is usually insufficient, the BOV will open slightly at idle, however its good that you mentioned this, otherwise I would have forgotten to mention it.

OP: Adjust the spring pressure on your BOV. Bring the car up to operating temp first. You want it tight enough so that it stays completely shut at idle, but not too tight as this will cause compressor surge,

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
lewis15498;1385793 said:
I'm assuming that the OP just threw the BOV on and didnt adjust the spring pressue, and the spring pressure on a nev BOV is usually insufficient, the BOV will open slightly at idle, however its good that you mentioned this, otherwise I would have forgotten to mention it.

OP: Adjust the spring pressure on your BOV. Bring the car up to operating temp first. You want it tight enough so that it stays completely shut at idle, but not too tight as this will cause compressor surge,

I actually did push towards hard instead of soft, and the only time I might have encountered the stalling after shifts when letting off is when it was it hadn't ran in a day and it was more likely bc of an oil leak and low oil pressure I thought.

Edit: oh and as for the loss of MPG, the AFM would be reading the same as it would before and it would be drawing the same ammount of fuel. So you would only in theory lose power with less air mixing in but have same mileage?

Last edited:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I do not see the car loosing any amount of MPG worth caculating by just venting to the atmosphere.

The OP's car will loose more MPG just because he'll want to boost more and shift just to hear his new "toy".

As far as loosing any measurable MPG from driving the exact same way as he did before the installation of the new BOV, not even worth taking your time to figure out that you just lost .02 MPG because it runs richer for a moment during your shifts...

You'll see more of a difference in MPG between a hot sunny day and a cool, overcast day than this mod.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Beals;1386300 said:
I actually did push towards hard instead of soft, and the only time I might have encountered the stalling after shifts when letting off is when it was it hadn't ran in a day and it was more likely bc of an oil leak and low oil pressure I thought.

Edit: oh and as for the loss of MPG, the AFM would be reading the same as it would before and it would be drawing the same ammount of fuel. So you would only in theory lose power with less air mixing in but have same mileage?

that has nothing to do with a car stalling, the car will most likely stall after boosting then goin to neutral, or coasting right after. in between shifts i dont see it stalling, unless u shift granny status.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
kotu100;1386347 said:
that has nothing to do with a car stalling, the car will most likely stall after boosting then goin to neutral, or coasting right after. in between shifts i dont see it stalling, unless u shift granny status.

Well my cars automatic sadly, so maybe thats why I haven't had any problems at all with shifting. Like I said the only time my car has almost stalled is when it;'s been sitting for atleast a day and I try to fire her up. Thats because it needs minor work and seals replaced as it leaks oil and and I have new plugs but I could prolly use new wires and other reasons.

But yeah I think I'm good as for the BOV, I just wanted to hear any other opinions and keep an open mind.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
Beals;1386469 said:
Well my cars automatic sadly, so maybe thats why I haven't had any problems at all with shifting. But yeah I think I'm good as for the BOV, I just wanted to hear any other opinions and keep an open mind.

Sadly? I LOVE being able to stab the gas and fly past people without having to shift, but manuals are fun to drive for sure. My Supra is my first automatic since 2002 lol. In any case, I recently switched from a recirculated Bosch setup to an HKS SSQV vented to atmosphere. No stalling or sputtering problems at all! Runs as smooth as silk... I'd bet if it doesn't act up on ya right off the bat, you'll do just fine.

Last edited:

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
lewis15498;1385738 said:

As others mentioned this is wrong in many ways.

You will NOT lost MPG. Think about maybe why that is.

Idle should not be affected. All cars idle at the same vacuum unless they are cam'd, i would certainly hope the BOV company would know to design for this...

Loss of performance? I'm not really sure where to start with that one.

Stalling will only occur if you stay in neutral after high boost. And even then its case by case. If you have even a basic tune on SAFC you will 98% of the time be fine. I've been running SSQV for now going on my 3rd year and stalled probably as many times as i can count on one hand after a basic SAFC tune.

Reiketsukan;1386532 said:
Sadly? I LOVE being able to stab the gas and fly past people without having to shift, but manuals are fun to drive for sure. My Supra is my first automatic since 2002 lol. In any case, I recently switched from a recirculated Bosch setup to an HKS SSQV vented to atmosphere. No stalling or sputtering problems at all! Runs as smooth as silk... I'd bet if it doesn't act up on ya right off the bat, you'll do just fine.

And you should'nt stall. 5 speeds are the ones with the problems mostly.

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Im gonna throw my .02 cents in here cause i ran a SSQV (Vented to atmosphere) on a 100% Stock auto turbo supra. Dont do it, Its no fun. Anytime you dump (If you dont get RIGHT back on it) your car will bog then start bucking, then die out. Its not worth the ricery whoooosshhh to have those problems. Just put the stock one back on, or take off the blue part where it vents to atmosphere (should be removable, it looks to be a greddy knockoff) and plump it back into the intake.

EDIT: I need to get this in there as the edit

The car will run 100% fine, UNTILL you release boost, and the only times youll have problems is if you dont get back on it (I.E. Neutral rev to showoff the bov, dump, bog, stall)

This should just be more of a ... don't be a ricer and your good to go thread.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It depends on the car if the stall is an issue or not. It all depends on what else has been done to the engine. This is correct:

dumbo;1385756 said:
It will only do the above when the BOV is actaully venting. It WONT affect idle and such. Your mainly going to see a stall or almost stall inbetween shifts when boosting and you clutch and don't get back on the throttle. Some people get lucky... Some get lots of stalling, you'll see for yourself. It won't hurt anything.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but the SSQV has an optional recirculate fitting available. As mentioned, an auto tranny has less of a problem with the stall.

lewis15498;1385793 said:

There's not a BOV out there (that's working correctly) that will open at idle. Not too sure where you are getting this crap, but saying this and saying it will affect MPG, idle, etc is so far off base it's not funny. Think before you post...this is the Tech section, pulling crap out of your ass like this is not tolerated. If you are not 100% sure, DO NOT POST.