Bought a 90 with forged dyno sheet. Advice?

pracefan

Nov 11, 2008
Colorado
I just bought a beautiful 90 MKIII Turbo in my home state, Colorado. The car was listed on Craigslist, AutoTrader and one other site. Link provided to online photo site. I bought it off of craigslist. I picked it up with a trailer.

The asking price was $7,500. I watched the car for a couple of months, offered $6,500.00, and the seller agreed.

The ads listed several performance upgrades accompanied with some great pics. First problem - listed no leaks or noise - oil leak on turbo line - have not yet looked closely at leak. Second problem - seller had pics of dyno sheet posted and claimed 407hp at the wheels. Seller provided all receipts he had saved and all boxes and instructions that came with upgrades - well kept, impressed with attention to detail. Seller didn't realize he gave me an envelope with receipts from the original owner and the original dyno sheet. First receipt I noticed he had copied or scanned it and replaced the name with his and added a thousand dollars to the exhaust system and total. Second paper I found was the dyno sheet. It shows 307 hp.

I haven't had time to check all the other parts listed to see if they are there. He also listed some great speakers - I don't think they are there.

I emailed him telling him what I found and a few threats. He replied saying he added a lot of the parts after the 307 dyno run assumed he gained the other 100hp with the upgrades. He seems to think dropping 1K off the asking price justifys his blatent deception.

Just wanted to throw this out there on Supramania to get some opionions on what I should do. BTW, the car is really friggin nice and powerful, but a lie is a lie. Thanks.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
sucks that happened, but i would like to see some pictures of the overall car to see if the price you paid can be justified

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
WhtMa71;1496742 said:
Sounds like you may have screwed yourself..

x2 you agreed on a price the deal was done....

If you'd paid the original asking price you may have had some sort of come back but even then it's buyer beware, not like this is the very first case of someone lying to sell a car...

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
You say the car is nice and very powerful. It seems your happy with the car. If him lying about it is the only problem i wouldnt worry about it, i would enjoy the car i now happily own.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
There's not much you can do. Unless you want to beat the shit out of him to make you feel better. If he mess with the mileage maybe you can talk to DMV.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
IJ.;1496744 said:
x2 you agreed on a price the deal was done....

If you'd paid the original asking price you may have had some sort of come back but even then it's buyer beware, not like this is the very first case of someone lying to sell a car...

+3 It is your job to ask as many questions as possible like where and when It got dynoed and with what set up did they dyno it. I know Im a big pain in the ass to sellers because I will ask alot of questions and for a lot of pics. Craig's list is a crap shoot. and a paradise for scammers. If its a nice car then you didn't get scammed too bad. he probably exaggerated in the description to move the car. Well good luck and chalk that one up to lessions learned.

pracefan

Nov 11, 2008
Colorado
The concensus here pretty much sums up the way I feel. I love the car and I aint gonna let it go anywhere, so I'm ok with the deal.

I have bought lotsa stuff on craigslist, and the majority of the time the truth is stretched a bit. I do ask a lot of questions, and did so in this case. He claimed the company that dyno'd the car was long gone, but they really just moved to a different zip code in Denver metro. I have traveled up there (100 miles 1 way) twice for cars that didn't have a clean title, both advertised they were clean, and both verbally confirmed that.

I'll post pics soon - thanks for the replies.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I think I would just see if the parts are there as he said. Also if it's as nice as you say it is then it's probabaly not bad deal. It's only a dyno sheet, they don't mean that much. It would cost you more time and money to pursue this.
MY honest opinion. I think he just wanted to justify the $7500 by forging the dyno sheet.