BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks guys. Yeah, the car is pretty fast actually. Some day I'll take it to the drag strip and see how it does. I'm actually running a 57 trim CT26 now. Car RIPS. Traction is a problem with the open diff.

Still a long way to go. Lots of things to clean up and improve, make permanent etc. Who knows when I'll be able to afford the body work.

Some day I'd like to upgrade to air suspension. The roads in the SF bay area are so bad. You're constantly dodging huge potholes and slamming down on rough and uneven pavement.

Crazy to think I started this project 11 years ago!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Upgraded the fuel system. The Walboro under the car was getting loud after only 45 mins of driving. Even being under the tank, I think it was working too hard. I went back to a surge tank setup like I originally had. But this time everything is under the car so I don't lose trunk space and keep the noise down. I used a Carter pump. Everything you read about these say they are tough and reliable, but noisy as heck. Two things fix that. 1. double isolate the mount. I have rubber on both sides of the bolts for next to no vibration transmission into the car body. Second, when pumps don't have enough fuel feed they cavitate and make a big racket. Sounds like silverware in a garbage disposal. So I used a long length of 5/8th hose after the fuel filter. Now the pump is so quiet, you can only hear it when it primes. Once the car is running the nose is gone!

So feed out of the tank into the Carter, out to the surge tank, surge tank feeds Walboro, fuel return from the engine to the main tank.

29z955z.jpg

Listen for yourself here: https://youtu.be/UevhiMUTYjI[/url

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Been working with the Megasquirt and getting a good tune dialed in. Running really well, feels fast. A little cold blooded on startup, need to use some throttle to start the engine. I think that's because my IAC air tube is too small. I'll fix someday. Other than that, it's hard to tell the engine is running any differently than stock. Except now I run 16psi

Finally at the point again where I can just jump in and drive. Reliable and runs great. Added a resonator to the exhaust and that really quieted things down. Added more sound deadening to the trunk and further isolated the fuel pumps. The car cruises on the freeway at 60-65mph comfortably and not even that loud. The below reading was taken at about 60mph or a little faster

10h65w4.jpg

Compare to a year ago when I hit 86db at only 50mph!

24z9btt.jpg

Major improvement! Now the car is SO much more livable. Just like a Toyota sedan should be.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Drove out to Lodi the other weekend to work on my cousin's 1968 Cougar. Car ran perfect, and was a pleasure to drive. 170 miles round trip

20r43lg.jpg

344sjg3.jpg

154zrwg.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Engine bay with Megasquirt 2. AZR block off plates, Beech alternator relocation bracket, and Sikky thermal shield manifold gasket. I can rest my hand on the intake manifold even after a long drive

2n16x2.jpg