BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
BosoMKII;2047534 said:
Sorry, I don't follow

Your Brawndo sticker is an Idiocracy reference, correct?

If so I am quoting the scene when the mother is trying to buy food for her kid from the Carls Jr machine. It is their slogan haha

Grandavi;2047547 said:
I thought maybe it was an Ohio saying or something that hopefully isn't popular.. lol

No, thankfully not

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
BosoMKII;2047646 said:
OH right

Sorry I'm slow

Also it's been a while since I watched the movie last

:thumbup:

Its ok, I have a knack for remembering lines from movies and it drives my wife nuts.

I am digging this build btw, reminds me of my build but with a lot more progress.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
schmuckingham;2047685 said:
Its ok, I have a knack for remembering lines from movies and it drives my wife nuts.

I am digging this build btw, reminds me of my build but with a lot more progress.

Thank you. What's your build about?

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Ok so now the car won't run. Stranded me the other day with several odd symptoms.

First the car had the severe hesitation come back, then just died. Kept blowing the main power fuse. After some time, the car just fired up again.

Didn't last long, because I ended up getting towed home.

The car will fire up, and maybe run for a bit. But the engine just very suddenly stops. Fuel pump still running, all power lights still on. Then the car won't start for a while after an episode.

No idea. So I'm re-doing the ECU power wires that were my next project anyway. All sorts of messy

35cj03r.jpg

sv2ko2.jpg

The carpets are coming out and getting re-done

Also, got a new horn button. I like this one much better. The button is much more subtle, and matches the conservative old Toyota interior better. I'm very happy with it

mt5fkj.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Continuing with the wiring clean-up project.

When I first got this car running, I ran extra wire lengths and used crimp connectors for quick working. Crimp connectors work well in the short term, but I don't want to leave them in. I've read crimp connectors can cause reliability issues and strange electrical issues over time.

Pictured below is the main power plug for the ECU harness. I cut this off a junkyard car to have a nice OEM connection, and as you can see there are many wires I don't need. I de-pinned the whole connector save for the few wires I'm actually using.

Before
w6tx6e.jpg

After (with power wires for gauges and etc tied in)

23jfh5c.jpg

Copied Whit and mounted the ECU under the parcel shelf

4rs32o.jpg

In progress, getting things cleaned up. Wires under the dash now incased in the asphalt coated fabric loom to ensure long life

30sablk.jpg

And done. Before, the parcel shelf was a mess of wires. Now, sitting in either driver or passenger seats you can't see much of anything. All wires tucked up out of the way.

zjgzuu.jpg

Still work to do before I drive again, but I'm really happy with my work so far.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Still working on the interior. Printed out new labels for the boost controller, and still didn't manage to put them on straight.

e9eukp.jpg

I'm sure a few of you noticed how ratty the carpets I put in last summer looked. I hadn't ordered enough carpet for the whole car, and ran out when doing the fronts. So I ordered some new carpet to re-do the front area.

33abipw.jpg

Start with more sound-deadening material for the floors.

103d2is.jpg

2i0sufl.jpg

Didn't realize that I purchased from a different supplier. New carpet has much more exaggerated loops. I like it much better. Too bad I had already glued-down the rear before realizing I had two different carpets!

2nh2bv9.jpg

Bar mats for the rear

2e5tdah.jpg

I did my best to cut and shape the carpet as well as I could. Much, much better than my first attempt. Still not perfect.

2w3t2xl.jpg

2r6fpmh.jpg

165f0y.jpg

The sharp-eyed among you will have noticed that in previous photos, my boost gauge was stuck in vacuum. No idea what happened to it, just stuck that way.

Options for mechanical, 2 and 5/8th inch, white font with a white indicator needle boost gauge are about two. So I went with the Autometer

2yo5qpi.jpg

Still work to do, but the car should be back on the road this week. Not so much time these days, thanks to this little guy

sd1fyb.jpg

My first son, he's a bit over two months old now!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Finally drove the car again today! Has been about a month and a half since the car stranded me and was towed home.

Wiring, carpets, patched a flat tire, and a few other details all done at last.

Turns out the problem was in fact the Cam Position Sensor wiring. I swapped the CPS, and put a new OEM connector on the harness side to match the new terminals and that did the trick.

Car drove great! Felt better than ever. For a mile or so....

Knock sensor code came back and ruined my boosty fun, but now I also get code 42 and code 51.

I'll fix the problems eventually. But for now I'm happy that all the re-wiring seems to have been done right, the car is quieter thanks to the sound-deadening, and nicer to be in thanks to the carpets.

dzxo9y.jpg

34xryq9.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Not having 5th gear relegates a car to a local-only around town car. 5th gear in my car was super loud, so I never drove far. Never mind the constant little problems, the transmission has been the big issue.

Finding a W58 or R154 transmission is difficult, never mind an affordable one. Finally got one a few months back, and at last found some time to do the swap.

Three days of hard work in a heatwave really did me in! But the job is done at last.

Really not a lot of bolts actually, but the three at the top of the transmission are so hard to get to, I had to take a lot of other stuff off first.

2gxiqoi.jpg

You can see here the turbo elbow has been leaking. I think because the flange isn't flat. I put a second gasket in and that seems to have sealed up the leak. No more exhaust leak noise and soot on the turbo

14ac2e9.jpg

Working on this surface with the car only 18" off the ground is terrible. I use a camping roll to keep the rocks from chewing me up too bad, but it's still hard work

i58wlj.jpg

Thanks to some help from my brother, the transmission is finally out! Old transmission with the longer shift housing at top is from a MKIII Supra non-turbo. Replacement W58 at bottom. Not sure what car it's from, hopefully it is actually a W58 or I got ripped off!

20hty7a.jpg

Replacement in at last. Very hard work for two guys to bench press the thing into place in such a small space under the car

nber00.jpg

New shifter further forward, and actually in the correct place for a Corona! Good thing I only cut and peeled back the metal underneath, so returning the trans tunnel to stock will be easy.

Need to change the angle of the shifter though, too close to the dash now.

24y7dqr.jpg

34raow1.jpg

Test drive didn't go well. Firstly, the new transmission is really noisy. Has me VERY worried. I realized though I put 75w80 Redline synthetic in, when Toyota calls for 75w90. Could that be why? Also, the brakes are doing this super annyoying thing where they gradually apply force as they warm up, until they are on and dragging fully, making the car un-driveable.

Hopefully this weekend I can fix the brakes and put the proper fluid in the gearbox and take a real test drive.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Your break booster it self is probably on it's way out. But before replacing I'd check all the vac line to it first. This happened on my other car and it was not drivable nor fun dragging the brakes :(

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
akito;2055104 said:
Your break booster it self is probably on it's way out. But before replacing I'd check all the vac line to it first. This happened on my other car and it was not drivable nor fun dragging the brakes :(

Thanks for the advice. I just put this remanufactured booster in a few weeks ago. I hope it's not bad. Finding things that fit/work on this old car isn't easy.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Success!!!

Fresh oil in, brakes fixed, and went for a drive.

First, the brake problem was just free-play adjustment at the booster. I cranked down on the actuator rod to shorten it, and problem solved.

The transmission was still noisy, but seemed to get quieter as I drove. Not sure if that's just in my head and I was getting used to the noise or if the old box just needed a few miles to get the fresh oil worked in.

Did a few miles on the highway, and the car was great! Very exciting.

The car gets a bit of attention too, because it is an odd-looking and rare old thing. I imagine people are asking themselves, "What is it?"

Today was a good day.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Been a while since I updated, just in case anyone is still out there.

Still working on cleaning up the engine bay. Wrinkle finish black helps make pipes and things look maybe passable as factoryish.

felxzr.jpg

Also recirculated the BOV. Even with the anti-stall valve, I just couldn't live with the driveability issues. At part throttle under load, the BOV would vent boost making the engine run super rich and bog. All fixed now. Drives like a stock car. The pipe-forest is a little much, but at the time I had the BOV flange welded I didn't think I would need to recirculate. Oh well.

33z8vew.jpg

Also found an intact timing cover and a coil-pack cover. The Coil-pack covers are getting rare. This one came from Australia.

I'm really happy with the look.

359j0j6.jpg

2lclox4.jpg