Bosch 044 Intank Install (Help Needed if possible)

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Here is what i have...

553830_10151136012796658_2015882687_n.jpg

This thing is huge, and when i drilled out the hole to fit my -8 bulk head fitting and tried to put my -8 barb fitting on the bulk head, it wouldn't go because the hanger bends right in the way. So i cut a little acccess for the barb to face down but its now behind the bosch pump. It was a spare test hanger thank god. Then when i tried to fit it in the stock location the nut that holds the bulk head fitting won't fit in because it sits too far out by the access hole and won't sit flush in the spare tank i have.

How would i go about fitting this thing intank? I'd like to use this pump but if i must i'll sell it and get another. I currently have a walbro intank and wanted to put something that can support the 850cc injectors for 600-+whp... I Don't plan on getting that immediately at the dyno but eventually i'd like to reach that goal.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
040 might have been a better choice, same pump but it's an intank so has a screen on the bottom instead of a threaded fitting.

Having a good run with the Walbro 400's here.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
IJ.;1893185 said:
040 might have been a better choice, same pump but it's an intank so has a screen on the bottom instead of a threaded fitting.

Yea =/ bummer, i already have this pump and rather then changing it out for something else i'd rather use it if its not too much of a pain in the ass...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1893185 said:
How are you liking them so far? Any idea what you think they would support, power wise?

I figure if injectors are xxxCC each, that's per minute, correct? Multiply that by 360 (6 injectors by 60 minutes), divide by 1000 (to get your LPH requirement), and size the pump accordingly?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
OneJArpus;1893213 said:
Yea =/ bummer, i already have this pump and rather then changing it out for something else i'd rather use it if its not too much of a pain in the ass...
Might have to mount it outside the tank?

What sort of power range are you looking at?

te72;1893241 said:
How are you liking them so far? Any idea what you think they would support, power wise?

I figure if injectors are xxxCC each, that's per minute, correct? Multiply that by 360 (6 injectors by 60 minutes), divide by 1000 (to get your LPH requirement), and size the pump accordingly?
Well there's talk of 800 crank HP @ 12v and 900+ @ 13.5v, so being conservative 500rwhp would be comfortable, I as always doubled up and run 2 pumps. ;)

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
IJ.;1893346 said:
Might have to mount it outside the tank?

What sort of power range are you looking at?

Well there's talk of 800 crank HP @ 12v and 900+ @ 13.5v, so being conservative 500rwhp would be comfortable, I as always doubled up and run 2 pumps. ;)

I'd like to break the 600 mark.

Captain

Sep 30, 2008
NM
I am not sure exactally what fitting you are trying to use but I used a 45* fitting when I set my 255 up. Example:
p1893745_1.jpg

From the looks of your pic you dont have any room between the 044 outlet and the hanger so you might have to get creative or install an AN adapter directly to the outlet of the pump, which is M12x1.5 IIRC. Earl's 9919EFG is the fitting I am talking about.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Captain;1893745 said:
I am not sure exactally what fitting you are trying to use but I used a 45* fitting when I set my 255 up. Example:
p1893874_1.jpg

From the looks of your pic you dont have any room between the 044 outlet and the hanger so you might have to get creative or install an AN adapter directly to the outlet of the pump, which is M12x1.5 IIRC. Earl's 9919EFG is the fitting I am talking about.

alright i'll try this out

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
You could also cut the bottom out a little so it would sit all the way down. That would give you more room to run lines...

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1893385 said:
Maybe run a smaller pump in tank to the 044 mounted inline?
I was planning on running the Denso MkIV OEM pump in tank and something like the 044 on the line outside the tank. Figure way too much fuel capacity is better than not enough...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
te72;1894290 said:
I was planning on running the Denso MkIV OEM pump in tank and something like the 044 on the line outside the tank. Figure way too much fuel capacity is better than not enough...

"Mores Law" some is good, more is better and too much is just right ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1894369 said:
"Mores Law" some is good, more is better and too much is just right ;)
Too bad that principal only applies to tires up to a certain point. Eventually your house stinks of rubber. :p Seriously though, I wanna run a lot of rubber (as in too much), but you can only heat so much of it up with a 3500ish lb car... That and you end up with a double edged sword with the added weight, increased rolling resistance (detrimental not only to fuel economy, but also puts a strain on the brakes given how much more mass you have to stop), not to mention price...

Ended up going with the Bosch 044 for the inline application, and a Walbro 400 lph. Should be enough fuel to power a train, I suspect. :p

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
One thing not covered yet is the Con to running a LOT of pump, My car would heatsoak the entire contents of the tank in 1.5hr's cruising and this can affect the tune if not allowed for, my solution was to PWM pump #1 for idle/cruise then ramp it up to full power at low boost, at that time I'd PWM pump #2 and ramp it in by mid boost setting, the advantages to this approach were Less heat Soak, No coffee Grinder pumps at idle/cruise, and no Pressure Spike when pump #2 came on at full pressure!

In the current project with it's PD Charger I run a pair of Walbro 400's and 2 Aeromotive controllers which are RPM Based, they do a Boost Referenced version which would be ideal for Turbo engines.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
IJ.;1896227 said:
One thing not covered yet is the Con to running a LOT of pump, My car would heatsoak the entire contents of the tank in 1.5hr's cruising and this can affect the tune if not allowed for, my solution was to PWM pump #1 for idle/cruise then ramp it up to full power at low boost, at that time I'd PWM pump #2 and ramp it in by mid boost setting, the advantages to this approach were Less heat Soak, No coffee Grinder pumps at idle/cruise, and no Pressure Spike when pump #2 came on at full pressure!

In the current project with it's PD Charger I run a pair of Walbro 400's and 2 Aeromotive controllers which are RPM Based, they do a Boost Referenced version which would be ideal for Turbo engines.

Thanks for the info mate I never thought about this.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I ran a mk4 denso pump in tank to a 044 inline pump with a -6 an hose to the engine, I personally made 605 WHP with it and had no fuel starvation issues. The fuel pressure stayed solid. I alsways wanted to put it in tank though. The 044's are pretty loud when running them full time outside the tank, but I had mine set to come on at 10 psi boost or so with my Haltech EMS.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
QWIKSTRIKE;1896230 said:
Thanks for the info mate I never thought about this.
Very welcome, I try to cover all bases when I do thing ;)

On the Current car heatsoak isn't as much of an issue being semi returnless, the fuel rail dead ends and I have a reg mounted at the surge tank so it's just circulating between it and the main tank when bypassing, as Randy pointed out big volume pumps come with big volume, this shuts them up! :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You guys have given me something to look into with my AEM... the Walbro 400 is more than enough pump to run a low-mid level boost on my setup, I only bought the 044 as extra insurance. If I never need it (as in, "car is more than fast enough on mid levels of boost"), I'd be happy. If I do need it, I'll have it. Just need to figure out how to keep her quiet. Will look into those Aeromotive controllers if the AEM doesn't pan out.