Bosch 023 in tank pump

Mk3Les

I’m looking to upgrade my fuel system before I start doing some fairly big mods to my car. The plan is to eventually have around 450hp at the wheels. I know a walbro would be enough for what I want but they seem to be a bit hit and miss and I don’t want to take any chances with my fuel supply, so I’ve been looking at Bosch fuel pumps. I’ve read a few posts about guys running 040’s successfully I’m just wondering if anyone has tried a Bosch 0 580 254 023 ?
From what I understand it will flow more than the 040 and that gives me room to grow if I decide that 450hp isn’t enough. Also it’s an in tank pump so fitting it shouldn’t be too hard.
Anyone one with some experience with these pumps please chime in and let me know what you think and any tips for fitting one.
Here’s the ebay link for the pump
Bosch 023

AndyMac

Mar 9, 2009
Canberra Australia
I use a bosch intank pump at the moment and have a new 040 that I am putting in this weekend, they are great from my experinces so far, and I am sure that if you want that extra piece of mind they are great!

Mk3Les

AndyMac;1366369 said:
ah wel, even if its the same size its huge :)

I think it should be fine for that kind of power... Ian?

I guess I should thank you Andy I had a good look at your thread on the Bosch 040 pump your trying to fit. I found just about all the answers I was looking for :) so thanks for the pics and the info.
And yes its a big pump but should be good for 500hp and thats just what I'm looking for ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
AndyMac;1366369 said:

It'd be on the edge, personally I wouldn't risk it but that's just me I like way more fuel supply than I'll ever need to cover the "just in cases".

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
AndyMac;1366369 said:

Well the reason I ask because the walbro 255 is usually good for up to about the 500 mark But at that power it's on the edge iirc. I'm looking for a pump that will handle 500+ but I want a simple fuel system with one pump. I'd run an A1000 but I don't think there self priming and I don't want do sump the tank or go fuel cell either. I just want a serious intank pump that will give me enough fuel to get my power.

IJ could you recommend a pump that will handle the power? Maybe the 044? The Aeromotive A1000 is said to be submersable. Could I mount that intank utilizing some type of pre screen?

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
A1000 will work but good luck getting it into a stock tank.

044 will do it but as I said I prefer to go at least 2x on the fuel system, I'm sure there are plenty of people making 500 on a single 044.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
If you could get it in the hole one of these would work>>

BFP-PF1.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
AndyMac;1366400 said:
hey thats cool!

makes the 044 an intank pump!

I will hopefully be finishing my 040 install this weekend so I will be sure to share pictures.
cool!

nosechunks;1366404 said:
What would you recommend IJ? A dual pump setup? Could I use the A1000 as external with the stock intank or would the stock intank restrict the a1000?
Well it can only flow as much as the point of greatest restriction unless you run some stupid high pressures so for me the in series installs don't make a lot of sense.

Dual in tank with pump #2 being boost activated makes a whole lot of sense.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
So twin walbro is best option? What about the check valves? Or the unknowing failure possibilities? I have ideas for a warning system but I would still rather run a single pump for simplicity. Would there be any problems running the 2 walbros full time?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I run a pair of aeromotive Tsunami's with 2x -6 lines from the pumps to the rails, I also use a pair of speedflow check valves.

This way is a pump fails the other can get you home no probs at all, it also allows me to PWM both pumps so they're quiet and to boost activate pump #2.

I wouldn't run 2 pumps all the time as you're just heat soaking the fuel in the tank by circulating it through the rail and engine bay.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
You wouldn't happen to know the maximum amperage a stinger can output would you? It has PWM outputs but i dont know if it could handle the amperage of a big pump.

As i was researching pumps i ran into this. The part about the 98-04 mustangs in this web page: http://www.fuel-pumps.net/fuelpumpsfaq7.html#9 Makes me wonder if PWM on a walbro is safe? i would assume not?

So if thats true then i guess the only way to could run dual walbros is to either run both full time or have one on full time and the other turn on at a set boost pressure. But im afraid of that becoming a tuning nightmare.

Would the bosch 023 or 040 intank pumps be safe to PWM?