boost/vacuume gauge help

i just got a boost/vacuume gauge from autometer, im wondering 2 things about it, when its idling (mine is set at 1000 to help the turbo) what reading should i get from it? currently im getting a 0, and its reading a max of 7 psi and i had the guy i got the turbo from set the waste gate at 8 or 8.5, anyway i was wondering if it was just a bad place that i put it or if i have a vacuume leak or a boost leak, any ideas? I put the boost gauge line in on hose #90999-92002 (L=200) off the throttle body.
http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=1708&P=3

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
If you installed it and you're getting a 0 on vacuum, then you've installed it on a vacuum line with a one way valve. I don't know what they're called, but they will only let air go through it one way. You need to try a different vacuum line and see if that helps you.

As far as the boost goes, it's probably reading it correctly. You'll know for sure once you relocate it to another source.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Suprahero is correct.

You should use the hose for the factory boost gauge sensor in the driver side strut mount area.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
ms07s;1150548 said:
Suprahero is correct.

If you only knew how long I've waited for someone to ask a question that I actually knew the answer too...........:biglaugh:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
suprahero;1150577 said:
If you only knew how long I've waited for someone to ask a question that I actually knew the answer too...........:biglaugh:

Says the man with 9600 posts... :sarcasm:

For the original post, the amount of "boost" you will show on the gauge when stock is 5.5-7.5 with a manual trans.

Auto is slightly less from the torque converter slippage.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
suprahero;1150577 said:

Your welcome. For everything there is a first time.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
You plumed you boost gauge to your BVSV.:biglaugh::kickinthenuts:
Try hooking it up to hose 17344C, or any other vac. hose ;)

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Please explain to me how you came to the conclusion that a 1k rpm idle helps the turbo. I'm not going to flame, I just want to know why you think that.

Dunckel;1150661 said:
Please explain to me how you came to the conclusion that a 1k rpm idle helps the turbo. I'm not going to flame, I just want to know why you think that.

from what i heard at least it helps it cool off faster, i shouldn't have said that it helps the turbo it helps me is what i meant, and as far as the other post saying that stock it is 4.5 to 7.5 this isn't a stock turbo, and like i said i had the guy put the spring in the wastegate to 8 psi.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Unless you run a standalone how the hell do you "set" idle rpm?? Isn't it ecu controled??

Factory idle is 6-700 rpm...300 more rpms isn't gonna help much...

Your doing it wrong....

gaboonviper85;1150763 said:
Unless you run a standalone how the hell do you "set" idle rpm?? Isn't it ecu controled??

Factory idle is 6-700 rpm...300 more rpms isn't gonna help much...

Your doing it wrong....

there is a screw in the throttle body, you back it out and the idle increases, u screw it in and the idle decreases, as far as im concerned messing with the ecu with my knowledge of cars is a bad idea. rather than messing something up id rather leave it alone and i believe that the ecu controls the idle, raising it or lowering it depending on how hot the car is running and the screw just adjusts the rpm range it does it with but i don't know, this is my first car and i have no training in cars at all, im just making... uneducated guesses lol, so please set me straight if im wrong.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
suprahero;1150819 said:
My car idles better @ 900-1000 rpm..............:dunno:

You have bigger cams though....that changes everything :)

Oh, and Hack-i, don't make uneducated guesses. Educate yourself before you mess with things on the car. Since you know where to find the online TSRM, research where the idle should be for you're setup and put it there.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Hacki_sack_kid;1151105 said:
there is a screw in the throttle body, you back it out and the idle increases, u screw it in and the idle decreases, as far as im concerned messing with the ecu with my knowledge of cars is a bad idea. rather than messing something up id rather leave it alone and i believe that the ecu controls the idle, raising it or lowering it depending on how hot the car is running and the screw just adjusts the rpm range it does it with but i don't know, this is my first car and i have no training in cars at all, im just making... uneducated guesses lol, so please set me straight if im wrong.

This is a very bad idea...the screw on top of the TB is set from the factory full closed due to the reasons mentioned. It was removed from the '89+ motors because it's not necessary and people keep messing with it. You just opened up a pirate air source to the motor.

All you've done is cause the ISCV (controlled by the ECU) to step closed in a effort to bring idle down, effectively defeating an engine control. Screw it back in (all the way) and pull your EFI fuse for a minute so the ECU can re-learn idle.

jdub;1151261 said:
This is a very bad idea...the screw on top of the TB is set from the factory full closed due to the reasons mentioned. It was removed from the '89+ motors because it's not necessary and people keep messing with it. You just opened up a pirate air source to the motor.

All you've done is cause the ISCV (controlled by the ECU) to step closed in a effort to bring idle down, effectively defeating an engine control. Screw it back in (all the way) and pull your EFI fuse for a minute so the ECU can re-learn idle.

thanks for the info, one more little bit of info i would like to have for when i relocate the boost gauge lines what is a good reading to have for the vacuume, cuz i still don't know if i have a potential leak