boost prob , cant get any more than 10psi !!!!

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
nope its not bad at all at 10 psi, yep runnin 50mm wg, and if you have the same one then they are set at 10.2 psi. not bad though for the money spent.

turbonutter said:
alright bud , good to hear u sorted ur probs , i bought the t4 mani with the turbo .
its not a bad set up hey ? im impressed at 10 psi , are u running the 50mm wg ? and what psi are u getting ?

turbonutter

Jan 18, 2006
somerset , uk
supramike7m said:
nope its not bad at all at 10 psi, yep runnin 50mm wg, and if you have the same one then they are set at 10.2 psi. not bad though for the money spent.

yeh it dont go to bad hey
they do have a 10.2 psi spring !! i though it was around there but just looked on there ebay site and the kit i bought said 10 - 19 psi
cheers bud

turbonutter

Jan 18, 2006
somerset , uk
Joel W. said:
It's time for 3" exhaust my friend. It will let that turbo flow.. You will be shocked...:)
supramike7m has the same kit and tells me the spring is set at 10.2 psi think thats me problem

i wanted to run this turbo for a while them go 4 sumthing a bit better and was gona change the exhaust at the same time

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
The spring(10lb) is the stock boost level now with the boost contoller D/C. 10-19psi spring means stay within that range with your controller.

With the waistgate disconected. Your boost should go to dangerously high levels.

So no, I think it's your exhaust that is the bottleneck personally.. imo

Mike: get a boost controller or a heavier lb spring or adjust some preload into your waistgate actuator(shims).. :)

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
Even if the WG spring is set to 1psi, its not going to open if you remove the vacuum source to it. Removing the vac source from the wg will cause you to overboost until you hit fuel cut or go boom. If you can't boost over 10 psi, then you would have a boost leak somewhere, I somewhat doubt a 2.5" exhaust is going to limit you that much. It would be cheaper to do a pressure test of your IC piping than to replace the exhaust if you don't need to.

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
Joel W. said:
Matt: I agree, but he said he does not have a leak.. Always good to double check of course.. :)

So many times I swore my connections were tight, until I applied pressure and watched what actually happened when I wasn't behind the wheel. I would hope for a boost leak, much easier to fix.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
I have chased leaks also. I finally welded 1/8 inch beads around all my IC piping and I replaced the rubber with 4ply silicone hose and T-bold clamps. No more leaks...

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
Joel W. said:
I have chased leaks also. I finally welded 1/8 inch beads around all my IC piping and I replaced the rubber with 4ply silicone hose and T-bold clamps. No more leaks...

I'll be doing the same when I make my IC piping. I never want to have to worry about blowing a coupler off on the hwy. Not so bad if you're running a blowthrough MAF or MAF-less. I blew a coupler apart saturday after I upped my boost to 10psi, of course I'm still on the stock piping. Not fun limping home.

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
mixmastermatt said:
Even if the WG spring is set to 1psi, its not going to open if you remove the vacuum source to it. .....

Hang on a sec... if you have a spring that weak, surely the exhaust gases will simply push the wastegate open themselves! This is why there is a spring on the wastegate in the first place, to stop this happening.

Last edited:

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
mixmastermatt said:
I'll be doing the same when I make my IC piping. I never want to have to worry about blowing a coupler off on the hwy. Not so bad if you're running a blowthrough MAF or MAF-less. I blew a coupler apart saturday after I upped my boost to 10psi, of course I'm still on the stock piping. Not fun limping home.

i just cary tools with me and fix it on the side of the road or in a parking lot:evil2:

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
Heckler said:
Hang on a sec... if you have a spring that weak, surely the exhaust gases will simply push the wastegate open themselves! This is why there is a spring on the wastegate in the first place, to stop this happening.

It was a hyperbole to make a point. I understand how wastegates work, don't worry.

Last edited:

turbonutter

Jan 18, 2006
somerset , uk
cheers for all the imput guys , been away trucking and just got home to read all this .
well im gona go dobble check all my pipe wrk to see if it leaking , as i dont realy wana change the exhaust yet , im due to go on the track at the weekend and wana bit more boost !!
let u no how i go!

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Nutter, once you figure out why it won't boost with the wastegate disconnected, you should be able to adjust the wastegate preload by turning a set screw on the top of the wastegate, this will raise the "no boost controller" boost up to around 19 psi, then you can use the boost controller to really crank it if need be. If you don't have an adjusting screw for the preload, then the boost controller alone should be able to pull the boost up to 20 or so.
Honestly it sounds like a restriction in the exhaust or a huge boost leak, but with a leak that big, you should hit FC dues to the massive amount of air your turbo would be sucking. The other possibility would be that your header flange is warped and isn't sealing against the head enough to build boost. I've had a pre-turbo exhaust leak limit me to 6 psi before...
-Jake