Boost leak?!?

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
A while back I wrecked my afm after doing the Lexus 550 swap. I tried several different afms to no avail. While trying to find a solution I realized I had both my ssqv bov and the stock bypass valve and decided to bypass the bypass valv. Not knowing any better, (before I discovered tsrm and countless resources on the net) I removed the valve and just put a hose in its place essentially sending air from the intake straight back before the turbo. I eventually went to vpc as I was tired of afm and my car has been just dandy (minus other unrelated issues.) Now after so long I just thought about what I had done with that hose and I'm wondering how I didn't have a huge boost leak?! On my stock ct I was able to get up to 12psi no issue. I currently have my boost controller turned off as I'm breaking in a 57 trim ct and I get 5.4 and hold it all the way through. I plan on plugging up those ports soon but Im confused as to how it's worked this whole time. Any ideas?!?

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
proto_mkiii
Feedback Score

Just noticed how long that was. Key points:
-Placed a hose between where the bypass valve used to be.
-Still making boost. No apparent leak.
How is this possible?

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
So I took out the hose and plugged up the two ports...and now I understand why everyone says the CT spools quick!!! What a complete change! Only issue now is I have a little flutter. I'm not sure if its actually compressor surge or if its the insert I have on my SSQV. I only say that because I had a friend with a 240 who changed his insert to the one I currently have and it made a similar sound.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I modded mine to change its operational characteristics to combat that condition. Its not [AFM/vent to atmosphere] friendly, but if you re-route it or run speed-density its great!

I think I'll do a write-up on it- it wasn't that hard to do.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
toyotanos;1813442 said:
I modded mine to change its operational characteristics to combat that condition. Its not [AFM/vent to atmosphere] friendly, but if you re-route it or run speed-density its great!

I think I'll do a write-up on it- it wasn't that hard to do.

Do it i'm curious