Boost leak detector - afm or turbo?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
First to help others, here's a picture of My detector. It's a 3" PIC cap ($1.49) and a quick connect wit Teflon tape that I had. uploadfromtaptalk1412010780225.jpg

Question- YouTube videos I watched showed it going into intake piping (ie. AFM). I have done this before and connected to the Turbo (searched for 2 days and could find nothing)

Does it matter? It seems to me that taking off the AFM would allow a leak or 3.

I'm searching for a vacuum leak and going to do this before re checking my timing, as idle is perfect and I have rechecked that before

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
ForcedTorque;2024241 said:
First to help others, here's a picture of My detector. It's a 3" PIC cap ($1.49) and a quick connect wit Teflon tape that I had. View attachment 74163

Question- YouTube videos I watched showed it going into intake piping (ie. AFM). I have done this before and connected to the Turbo (searched for 2 days and could find nothing)

Does it matter? It seems to me that taking off the AFM would allow a leak or 3.

I'm searching for a vacuum leak and going to do this before re checking my timing, as idle is perfect and I have rechecked that before
I would not pit any positive psi to the afm

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I did my boost leak test through where the AFM goes the accordion pipe and found leaks through the hoses along the intake.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Boost leak is not the same as a leak in the accordion hose. Boost leak would be post turbo in an IC coupler, IC, tb, or intake manifold. A leak in the accordion would still allow un-metered air to be sucked in but not metered air to be lost as there is always vacuum sucking on the accordion. So you would run lean with a leak in the accordion under boost by sucking in un-metered air(would have to be a large hole) and you run rich with a "boost" leak in the pressurized members after the turbo. So boost leak test is for pressurized items post turbo.

HTH,
Seth

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
I might to make one of these as well. I may try to add a port to hook up some form of fog or a smoke to help find any leaks

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk