Boost Gauge Reading?

88jspec

By any Means Necessary...
Oct 3, 2005
Atlanta..Ga
I just installed a swoosh sa58 boost gauge. Connection is at the rear of intake nipple. At idle it reads -10 vac, and when i press the throttle the needle moves up. Really not sure if this is correct, i thought the needle should be at zero (idle) and only move when boost kicked in.
Thanks for all input....

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
That sounds right, mine reads a vacuum situation during normal ops as well. Only when it's making positive boost should it go above zero. Ymmv, but I think it's ok. gl.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Your car should always pull vaccum at idle. Your boost gauge should read neg something at idle, then when you hit the gas jump to zer, and from there move into positive numbers as you pressure the intake manifold.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
88jspec;1338880 said:
I just installed a swoosh sa58 boost gauge. Connection is at the rear of intake nipple. At idle it reads -10 vac, and when i press the throttle the needle moves up. Really not sure if this is correct, i thought the needle should be at zero (idle) and only move when boost kicked in.
Thanks for all input....

Seems a little low for vacuum at idle, you sure you don't have a vacuum leak? My boost gauge reads -15 at idle.

89jdmsupra

Mar 30, 2005
NYC
mine is at -20 and doesn't go passed zero and i here turbo spooling soory if i jacked the thread.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
RazoE;1339031 said:
I'm at -20 vacuum at idle, -30 when I leave it in gear and let the engine slow the car down...

is there such a thing as too much vacuum..?

no. mine ran 25 at idle 30 during engine braking. you want the make vaccum at idle. think of tuning a carb.

2jz88mk3

Dec 31, 2008
GVRA
88jspec;1338880 said:
At idle it reads -10 vac, and when i press the throttle the needle moves up.

How much does it move up?

tbcmorris;1338907 said:
Your car should always pull vaccum at idle. Your boost gauge should read neg something at idle, then when you hit the gas jump to zero, and from there move into positive numbers as you pressure the intake manifold.

Like morris says, it should be a hair under zero (at WOT) until your turbo makes pressure. Until then you're drawing air in which is always a state of vaccum. A few ram air designs I read about made + 0.1 or something at highway speeds. Doesn't sound like alot, but a non boosted engine never sees 0 afaik.

If you have excessive vaccum at WOT, something maybe restricting your breathing.

As for regular driving, vaccum is a decent gauge of engine load.