Bolt on Big Brake Kit For around 300$.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I've put the info in the comments on one of the fb group discussions and decided to put it here for everyone else.

This is a 13" BBK that is completely bolt on with no modifications except for cutting of the heat shield.

What is needed:
Calipers:
-Mercedes benz 220 s-class 4 piston calipers. Something like a 00 or 01 model s430/s500.
-Here is a link to a current auction.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAP-W220-ME...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f997c73b&vxp=mtr

Rotors:
-2012 Mercedes Benz R-class rotors. There 330mm tall and 32mm thick.
-They can be purchased on rock auto drill and slotted for like 70$ each(something like that Dont know exact numbers) or blank for cheaper. Also available at any other auto parts store as well.
-Yes the bolt pattern is 5x112. The R-class, GL-class, and ML-class all use bigger wheel bolts which allow the rotors to slide on no problem.

Hub centric rings:
- You will need 60mm ID to 67mm OD hub centric rings.
- Reason the rotors will not be centered. Use the rings and then the rotors will be centered thus preventing any alignment issues.

Caliper bolts:
- Mercedes Benz 220 caliper bolts.
- They are different threads than the mk3 calipers.
-link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-R1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b248fc5e&vxp=mtr

Washers:
- 4-5mm of washers
- Reason is the caliper needs to be spaced out slightly to be centered on the rotors.

-----The calipers use the same exact bolt spacing as our cars. With the rotors mounted the calipers need to be spaced out a little bit to line up with the rotor perfectly.

-----The stock brake lines and banjo bolts are bolt on as well. I would recommend getting new crush washers and preferably thicker ones as the bolt can bottom out inside the caliper which would prevent it from sealing.

-----The stock backing plate/dust shield will need to be trimmed off or bent out of the way by a good amount as the larger rotors sit father back and are taller.

-----Also be aware that these calipers will not fit on every wheel. They need a higher offset wheel or something with concave disc like a te37 or something like that. My xxr521 +25 18/10 would not fit with these calipers.

-----Thats about it. Everything bolts on like when doing a standard brake job.

Heres some pics.

Installed on 18" enkei nt03

Installed on 17" enkei rpf1.

Some pics without the wheel and with the washers in place.

The hubcentric ring

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Prolly not. That will have basically the same face. Would need to go higher and even then im not sure if any of the 521 would fit since they have such a flat disc.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You going need find some new rims then. I opted to keep my wheels and sold my brake setup. Lol.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Great thanks for the suggestion and info. Also wondering if I need 4 to 5mm washers or 4 times (x) 5mm washers? If we're spacing out the caliper by 10mm, would it be "safer" to get a bolt that is 10mm longer????

Last edited:

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
YYCSupra;2038319 said:
Great thanks for the suggestion and info. Also wondering if I need 4 to 5mm washers or 4 time (x) 5mm washers? If we're spacing out the caliper by 10mm, would it be "safer" to get a bolt that is 10mm longer????

Having never done this "BBK" I would measure out 4mm or 5mm in washers with a set of digital/dial calipers and then put them on. I would then check how the caliper and pads line up with the rotor and if it needs to be spaced more or less by most likely 1mm.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Awesome find! I saw on one of the benz forums that some of their calipers had the same mounting distance as ours but never figured out which ones.

It'd be nice to compare the weight, piston diameter etc of this bolt on kit to some of the aftermarket options.

edit:

(stock) single 60mm - 2827 mm^2

(benz) 2x44, 2x40mm - 5533 mm^2, 96% bigger

brake rotor 26.5 lbs for the 2012 Mercedes Benz R350

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I just used 2 washers on each bolt that were from mercedes flex disc I had laying around. Basically just need to space the caliper out enough so it's even with rotors like Steven said.

The calipers them selfs are not too heavy. Maybe about same weight. But the rotor is much heavier but would be able to take a good amount of abuse.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Question, just to clear things up. The 5x112 rotors doesn't need to be modified to fit our hubs, studs? Also, remembering seeing this on the FB page, one can use the 350z rotors too or no. Thanks for finally putting this on SM. FB is so hard to keep track and search.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
akito;2038464 said:
Question, just to clear things up. The 5x112 rotors doesn't need to be modified to fit our hubs, studs? Also, remembering seeing this on the FB page, one can use the 350z rotors too or no. Thanks for finally putting this on SM. FB is so hard to keep track and search.

There is not modification to this kit. Just need the hubcentric ring so rotor sits perfect. The only real work you have to do for this kit is cut the dust shields which is cake. Yea the one you see on fb is a lot different he had to bccut the rotor this one is completely bolt on.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Do 114.5 rims work with these with no problems then even though th they are 5x112? Sorry I'm dense on somethings lol