"Blocked off" brake line

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Hey all, I posted this issue in my build thread but was hoping I could get some more exposure here.

Basically I have a nail plugging up the front end of the driver's front hard line as it comes out of the ABS module. I got the nail in the passenger's line out by flipping the line and running fluid through it backwards, but the driver's side line is too long for that. I've already tried pulling it out with everything imaginable, but it's too far in to get a grip. I also tried blowing and vaccing it out with a hand bleeder, but it wouldn't go past 40psi, so no dice.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get this bugger out? I'm thinking I need to hook up the back end of the line to the Master Cyl somehow, but am out of ideas.

Thanks!

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Wow wtf who would put a nail in there. Anyways, if I understand correctly, can't you just step on the brake pedal (assuming all the calipers besides the one with the nail are installed) and pop it out with the pressure in the line?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
So there was a nail, in the brake line? WOW, what kind of person would do that? That is very sketchy.

If hydraulics will not push it out, then it may come down to replacing the whole line, or cutting it back until you get fluid and doing a coupler.

Maybe you can make a adapter to hook a compressed air hose to the other end and push the psi up little by little and see if it will push it out, but this could be potentially dangerous.

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Yeah, the PO was definitely an Appalachian American, if you get my drift.

CyFi6;1677238 said:
can't you just step on the brake pedal (assuming all the calipers besides the one with the nail are installed) and pop it out with the pressure in the line?

No, because the nail is at the start of the line facing the direction of flow, so putting pressure on the pedal just pushes it further in. In order to extract it I need fluid to go through the line in the opposite direction, from the caliper towards the ABS Module/ Master Cyl.

Hydraulics will push it out, as it worked for the passenger side. I just need to figure out how to get pressurized fluid flowing into the back end of the line.

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Kevin;1677365 said:
why dont you just replace the line or a section of it?

I don't possess the skills or tools to re-flare the line, and I don't want to pull the engine to re-run the line if I can avoid it. My lift is 35 miles away and across post so I don't want to drive that all on only 3 brakes if I can help it (yes I have driven it on just the rears, and that was a bad idea too). Plus, why buy a whole new line when I know the nail will come out like the other one did? :naughty:

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Flaring is really easy and brake line is cheap. Flaring kits and tubing benders aren't that expensive either. Otherwise, if there is fluid in the line just compress the caliper with a C-clamp to push it out the opposite direction.
-AM3

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Can we see pictures of this stuck nail in the hardline?

Yep. Here it is. This was the passenger line, but the driver's side looks the same except I wasn't able to pull it out to get a good pic. You if you look closely you can see the cross hatching on the head of the nail.

attachment.php

AM3- The lines are bone dry as they have been blocked off since before I bought the car this December. I will look into the flaring kits but again I am really trying to avoid replacing this line if I can help it.

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
supra90turbo;1677782 said:
That line has a list price of $12... how can you go wrong?

I know. I'm just being lazy. Not $12 from Toyota, right? I would rather get this from a place I can drive to as I'm sure shipping will be a PITA.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Thats scary... just like the thought i had when i got the MK2... it didn't have brake pads on one of the front wheels. luckily no one pressed the brake & the calipers piston didn't shoot out.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Maybe try welding something to it to give you more to yank on/twist to pull it out. I would also heat the line after welding something to it as that should aid removal. I would feel bad doing this to my car but I can only imagine what the rest of the car is like after seeing this...good luck

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Looks like there's a slight bend, or kink to the line just after that fitting.
If at all possible, I would straighten the top of the brake line first, then maybe see if I could get a jewler's flat screwdriver tip under the edge of the nail and pull it up.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I wouldn't bother, just replace the line. It's cheap and you will be absolutely certain of its integrity. It IS your own, and others' lives in your hands.

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
The picture of the the one you already fixed looks as if you might be able to use a pair of side cutters (dykes) to grab the nail head under its lip and thus squeeze to begin the removal. Taking the bend out of the line (if there is one) might also help. Cutting the line and making a short splice is easy once you have done it a few times, but make sure someone shows you the proper way to create a double-flare for any brake line application. Good luck!

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
GrimJack;1678396 said:

I totally agree.

So, I followed my buddy's advice and got a hard line and a coupler to get fluid from the master to the back side of the FL hard line:

From the end of the Master Cyl:
attachment.php

Taking a detour:
attachment.php

And plugging into the end of the hard line. Also pictured, new braided stainless lines.:icon_bigg:
attachment.php

I bled the new line and made sure I had fluid on each side of the coupler and had my lovely assistant/wife pump the pedal while I tried to prevent any additional air from getting sucked into the line. No dice. The brakes never really built any pressure. They weren't push-to-the-floor flat, but they weren't hard like they should be either. Nor did the level of brake fluid drop after the initial amount went into the "extra" hardline I added.

I put a vac line on the opposite end (the one blocked with the nail) and put the other end in a baby food jar of brake fluid to stop from sucking in air, but never saw any bubbles in the brake fluid, nor did I feel any suction when I blocked off the end of the line with my finger.

I also tried heating the end of the line, but to no avail.

Whiskey Tango Fox?! :aigo: