Block machining question and long story

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
Ok...I just finished tearing the head off my re-built engine with barley 100 miles on it. My block and timing cover werent machined together and it cause a oil leak in the drivers side front corner(i think due to the head sitting on the cover and not sealing the head near that oil port/galley). I got bent over bad by my engine builder...its a long story and i dont want to waste your time with the details. Im going to make sure its done right now.

My head is getting machined as we speak. I cleaned the deck of the block with acetone in the engine bay and I can feel machine marks on the block with my pad of my finger. Now im thinking my block wasnt machined right for a MHG and was possibly machined for a composite HG.

1. If my block feels like that, is it prepped correct for a MHG?
2. Can I have my timing cover machined by itself to match the block, if I tell them to take off x amount of material?
3. can the timing cover be lower than the deck height? Is so how much is to low?

HERES THE STORY IF YOU WANT TO READ

When I got my engine built a friend and I used the same builder with "20" years expierience. When i got the car home after the rebuild I sprung a coolant leak in the back of the head at the banjo bolt. I couldnt get it off for the life of me...so I used a big breaker bar and it broke the stem off in the head...Tried an easy out and ended up cracking the head with a huge snap sound(lesson learned...use new stems/banjo bolts etc etc in future)

I got back to the engine builder and he sells me another head..i pay for machining, 3 angle,port and polish.Get it back from him and it dont run!!WTF? I gave him a few weeks to figure it out and still didnt run. I picked up the car and took it home and tried everything to get it to run..new coilpacks,igniter, engine harness, ecu. cps on and on. I finally gave up and my buddy (supraguy31)took it home to give it a try. He took the valve covers off and low and behold the cams were in BACKWARDS!!! Got it running.

So my car sits for a while while I do some mods and finally got to drive it and bang..oil leak. I tear the head off and see that i have 13 of the 14 arp studs..builder lost one and never told me. Also My MHG is creased/kinked from the timing cover. I look in my intake and exhaust ports and no port and polish. Also, my intake cam journals are scored along with the head. Not to remention the block surface and timing cover issue. This engine has cost me hundered and hundreds of $ not to metion time and headaches. This guy really took me for a ride...did the same to supraguy31. I would like to do some sever punishment to him but, i have a cool head and will use another way.

One good thing is Im learning to build my own engine from the ground up. My supra Is a MK2 with the 7mgte in it and Tons of mods..When im done she will tear it up for sure.

Thanks to this website and celicasupra.com. Without it I wouldnt be able to press on with this supra project or get as far as I have.....MANY THANKS TO ALL!!!

Stay away from a guy named GRANT HARVEY in Albuqerque for engine work!!!

Jake, Albquerque NM

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
if your block was machined, and correctly then there's one finish it will be.....FLAT, if it feels overly course, have it checked for smoothness, its possible the blade they used was dull or they cut at too high of a speed.

When rebuilding you're supposed to account for how much they take off with the thickness of the HG. This way it won't change compression ratio's and such, as well as the timing cover fitting correctly.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Yeah, I can Attest to my Friend ABQMK2s trouble. I for one had my First engine Built by Grant and I only got about 150-200 miles out of it before I started hearing this weird knocking sound. I didnt think anything about it since It went away after a certain RPM but I tore it down and found the #5 rod bearing was shot. Found out that he cut my head .030 from the start and screwed everything up.

All in all, Im learned that if you want someone done right, take it in yourself and specify exactly what you want. My rear timing cover was just like his, Block was like his, Basically, I had to find another block and head and start from Scratch. Machine work that he SUPPOSE TO HAVE DONE and his Shitty assembly cost me well over $2000 Dollars. After alot of reading, trial and error, Ive gotten to the point that I can build a engine alot better than our machinist can and run 11s with it and not have any Problems.

Robert El Paso, Texas

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
wow that really blows!!! I asked my local engine builder if he would mind if I sat in and watched his work...he had no problems with it and he even offered me a job there but I like my current job....he also took the time to dig up pics of the 7mgte he did! And you shouldnt feel machine marks like that...you will feel something but should almost feel like velvet if machined right at a 30ra.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
wow, all you ABQ guys. God I miss the pick-a-part yards there.

Its not recommended but I had to machine my front timing cover after my block was already done. I decided I didnt want to take the whole mess back into the shop so I bolted the cover to the block and used a brand new flat file and VERY CAREFULLY filed it down to the same level. I was careful not to scratch the block surface. took me no longer than a couple hours taking my time. I had absolutely no leaks.

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
frax;998796 said:
Where was this in ABQ? I am soon taking mine in and want to make sure its not the same shop

Frax...its not the shops fault its was the builder on both of ours. I have 2 heads getting machined at andersons machine shop on 1sr st.. I will let you know of the work done when i get it back.

You should come down someday a visit. We have quite a few of us MK2 and MK3 guys here...were a good bunch and love to work and talk supras. Quite a few here are putting down 500 at the wheels.

Hommer
When grant put the cams in backwards he must of been totally stoned...then he complained because it was a bitch to adjust the lash...DUH...u think he woulda noticed the whole time he was looking at the head...

Weezl...

U R right. the u-pull-it yards here are awesome...I just scored 2 contour fans in great shape...1 for me and 1 for Supraguy31!

Back to the block, It is rough to the touch...i can feel every groove with my finger nail. I went to the machine shop today and chatted with them as well so it looks like im yanking it out of the engine bay tearing it down and re-surfacing and re-assembly with a re-check of everything!! this is re-diculous..pun intended.

frax

Mar 24, 2007
los alamos
I am in Abq now for school. I'm at UNM. I have met a couple of guys from down here. I am planning on going to budlongs.

frax

Mar 24, 2007
los alamos
Yeah thats what i hear too. When i talked to them it would be 250 for assembly plus any machine work. Taking it to them today and will see what happens.

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
250 for assy? Holy cow..that seems expensive. Im putting in my own cams and shims...I havent done it but robert(supraguy31) does all his own with a feeler guage, few tools,tsrm and some time...im going to try that myself. Youre more than welcome to come by to my garage/house and use my bench and book or whatever to give it a shot if you want to. I will be doing mine soon as I get my head back.

Im having mine machined to a 30ra., cams polished, valve stems checked seals installed, spring check to make sure theyre at compression spec. Also I went to NAPA and bought 7 7/16" exhaust studs with lock nuts for $18. They will helicoil and instal for me.

frax

Mar 24, 2007
los alamos
Should have looked at this earlier. I already took it in and its actually 250 for just about everything unless there is major machine work needing to be done.