Big HP boys what clutch are you using? (2JZ/R154)

2jz88mk3

Dec 31, 2008
GVRA
Wonder what counts as a Big Boy...

Mine is holding 570 rwtq. Act XD 6 puck sprung(rated for 630 tq). 3200 lb pp. Daily driven for a year and a half. Holding great and has seen repeated 15 psi 7k rpm launches at the drag strip (miscalibrated launch control).

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
The hd is rated for 520 the xt is rated for 630. I went with the xtreme 6 puck sprung. I have yet to run it but my buddy loves it.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Spec Twin and OS Giken has a twin disk setup as well.

Just remember, using the 1JZ flywheel, it's a 7M clutch that will bolt to it and those two companies make twin disks which will hold a lot of power and is easier on your drivetrain.

Wallace

Oct 31, 2010
Australia
By big boy power i mean anyone running 600, 700, 800+ hp.

I thought single disk clutches stopped being a viable option at these power levels, so I started looking into twin and triple plate options from Japan but haven't stumbled across anything from the USA. Pretty keen on a carbon clutch from what hear about them.

Do RPS making a multi-plate clutch for the JZ/R154 combo?

Wallace

Oct 31, 2010
Australia
Im pretty familiar with OS Giken, was looking into something designed and made in the US, which is why I came over to these forums to ask :)

I know there are a lot of high hp 2J guys over there and im sure they're not all using OS Giken...

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I know a lot of the MK4 guys (with V160's) are running either Tilton, OS Giken, or RPS carbon-carbon. More-so the first and last

Wallace

Oct 31, 2010
Australia
Moy;1756073 said:
I know a lot of the MK4 guys (with V160's) are running either Tilton, OS Giken, or RPS carbon-carbon. More-so the first and last
Yeah it seems there are a lot more options for the Getrag.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
OS Giken still makes 1JZ multiplate clutches, and are supposed to be able to hold a lot of power. Contact em for price and torque rating though

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
OS Gikens are not something you really want to drive around a lot. Granted, I've only been around one car with one, but the pedal pressure in that car was roughly equivalent to kicking a hole in a castle wall. lol

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Im leaning towards SPEC sense there are parts available, but what do you guys recommend for a 1JZ that outputs 400-500 HP and 450 TQ, is a one plate enough to handle that sort of power?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'm using a spec stage 3+ on my 7M and love it, however I have found the limits of its performance. I was at ~400-450hp last year prolly with ~380ish tq (never dyno'd, just guesses based off of current nubers) and it couldn't hold a no-lift shift at redline if the tires gripped, so bear that in mind. Its rated for 630tq and it's held 480tq minimum without noticeable slippage (just accelerating) as far as I can tell. Just the drag style shifting gave me problems :(

I will be going to a spec P-trim twin next year so I should have feedback on that arond this time next year!

Also of note- I've driven a BPU mk4 with a fidanza/rps3200/heavy single and all I can say it was possibly the worst setup I've even encountered!
The customer agreed so we put an RPS carbon/carbon twin disc in the car and it was the exact opposite. I have never driven a car with engagement that nice which stood up to the abuse that kid dished out to it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Bit of thread revival here.

Evidently RPS was listening to the complaints, because they now have a listing for a twin disk carbon / carbon for the 1JZ / R154. I'm thinking it will likely work for the 2JZ / R154 as well, considering they are supposed to be identical from the flywheel back. Claimed 800 torque rating.

Haven't seen any feedback out there from the Mk3 world, but there is a lot from the Mk4 world.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
GrimJack;1938414 said:
Bit of thread revival here.

Evidently RPS was listening to the complaints, because they now have a listing for a twin disk carbon / carbon for the 1JZ / R154. I'm thinking it will likely work for the 2JZ / R154 as well, considering they are supposed to be identical from the flywheel back. Claimed 800 torque rating.

Haven't seen any feedback out there from the Mk3 world, but there is a lot from the Mk4 world.

How are their prices?