BHG woes

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
To make a long story short, my thermostat failed shut sunday night and now I'm feeling the BHG woes. I figure if I'm going to rip down the block and get it resurfaced along with the head, I may as well rebuild the bottom end. I'm looking for some recommendations. Here's what I'm thinking off the top of my head:

JE Pistons (probably 20 over)
Eagle rods
New Toyota rod bearings
Lightened crank
HKS Stopper 1.2mm HG
ARP studs/main studs
New Oil pump (looking for some ideas)

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Sounds like you have a good plan!!
We feel your pain ::bhg::

Sounds like maybe you could use a aftermarket coolant temp sensor?

While you're at it, get A&N fittings from the block to the pump, lower the pickup a little bit (get a sump pan? :D )

Oil filter relocation, thermostatically controlled cooler setup, maybe even one of those awesome passive filters!

[edit] It's called a bypass filter: http://www.mkiiitech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=890&highlight=toilet+paper [/edit]

Last edited:

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
And not sure if you've kept up on the Eagle rod's, but apparently they use weak ARP 2000 series bolts, and you should get some ARP L19 series, or better...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
JustAnotherVictim said:
Figure out how much you're getting taken off the head and block before you grab the HG.
Yaaay Ric
cheerleader1.gif

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
JustAnotherVictim said:
Figure out how much you're getting taken off the head and block before you grab the HG.
that's if they want to stay with stock compression. I went higher compression on my motor because it will never see anything other then ct26's, so i needed the added comp to make up for the low psi that the turbo can take. but thats just me, and this motor will find itself in some lighter car down the road when i build up my 2nd motor.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
IJ. said:
Q: What's the difference between a PC and the average Mk3 owner?

A: You only need to punch the info into the PC once ;)
how about hard drive crashes, noob! :biglaugh:

And ced, yeah i know, i was just throwing something out there ;)

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Have you given any consideration into a crank scraper? If you are doing all that to the bottom end I would definately look into a Teflon scraper to maximize your potential.