Bhg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2day>>>

87 mk3

May 19, 2008
Panorama City
I Got A Blown Headgasket 2day......
I Was Driving In The Freeway And All Of A Sudden My Car Started 2 Shake It Wasnt Overheating Or Anything I Opened The Hood N Ma Radiator Reserve Was Over Flowing I Let It Cool Down Started The Car Again And Put Coolant In It Got Back Into The Freeway And Started To Over Heat Really Quick And All The Coolant Was Coming Out Of The Muffler??? Does Anyone Know Why This Could Of Happened Bearly About 55kmiles On The Engine...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
is this motor rebuilt??? If so, did you deck the block? Did you deck the head?what headgasket did you use? Did you retorque the headbolts? Did you machine the timeing cover when the block was decked if it was decked?

You didn't give much info....tell us more

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Stock Head Gasket?

Have you ever torqued it down tighter than factory specs?

Has it overheated before?

Any number of things could have caused it to blow. But, if you have coolant coming out of the tail pipe, you sure don't need to ask if it could be anything other than the gasket.

87 mk3

May 19, 2008
Panorama City
well i got this engine from japan and i really havent done much to it all i had done was put on a new water pump timg belt tune up and that was basically it but it had been running well till 2gay and there is also water in my oil now and i had just done my oil change saturday and there was no sign of water in there:3d_frown:....

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
87 mk3;1060834 said:
well i got this engine from japan and i really havent done much to it all i had done was put on a new water pump timg belt tune up and that was basically it but it had been running well till 2gay and there is also water in my oil now and i had just done my oil change saturday and there was no sign of water in there:3d_frown:....

You put it in without replacing the head gasket?

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
JDM Motors = junkyard motors that have been left lying in some place

No change in headgasket means the chances of it failing were even worse, because from the factory the headgasket was under torqued at a whopping 52-52 lbft.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
87 mk3;1060852 said:
nope i didnt replace the headgasket....

well that wasn't too smart LOL!

Well sense you ran the car after it blow the gasket I'm sure your bearings aren't to pleased....now you get to pull the motor and inspect for damage to bearings and crank and then pay for machine work on whatever was damaged.....

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I'm gonna cut you a little more slack than that. At least you have found the absolute best place for information on your car NOW. We all had to start learning somewhere.

Chances are, you may have only had the information that an ebay engine seller gave you about his JDM motor. Many have made that mistake before you. NOW, if you will do some reading on here, there will be knowledgeable offering you advise as to how to turn. Start a build thread, and those people will come.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
When I got my jdm motor I was taken apart from top to bottom, all gaskets and seals replaced, titan head gasket with apr bolts. At the very least you should have done the head gasket.