Best way to transfer files

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
I've got 650 songs on my old computer that I want on the new one I just got....whats the easiest way to transfer them? I'd prefer not to have to buy anything (flashdrive, a bunch of blank cds). I've got some rewriteable ones, but I dont know how many times I can rewrite over to get all the songs over. I feel like I should know how to do this because its not that difficult, but I'm drawing a blank. Any suggestions? Thanks!

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Do you have them on any sort of iPod/mp3 player now? I can give you instructions to rip them straight off an iPod, and there are usually the same type of techniques with other players.

You should have some type of easy backup for all that music anyway (DVD, spare hard drive, anything). Backing that stuff up would make your life easier if your computer ever crashed (not to mention when you need to move them, like now).

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Yeah, maybe I'll just look into a flashdrive then. I've got an ipod, but I know I cant just drop songs on itunes from my ipod to the new library. What program is best for that?? That is what your talking about doing right?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Back2Basics said:
Yeah, maybe I'll just look into a flashdrive then. I've got an ipod, but I know I cant just drop songs on itunes from my ipod to the new library. What program is best for that?? That is what your talking about doing right?

Yes, there is a way to do it directly.

I wrote this up for another member - let me see if I can find it so I don't have to type it all up again.:icon_razz

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
1. If you are trying to transfer the music FROM your ipod to your computer, contrary to popular belief, you do not have to buy software to accomplish this:

Go to file/folder options in control panel and select "show hidden files".

Go to my computer (screen should show icons representing hard drive and other drives)

Plug the ipod in to the USB/Firewire port. DO NOT do anything when the system asks you if you want to sync the Ipod to this music library - just leave the dialog box on the screen.

An icon representing the Ipod should now be in the My computer window (if it is not, repeat the previous steps until you can "catch" it.

Click on the Ipod icon. Click on the Ipod Control folder. Your music will be stored in files name "F1, F2 , etc." or something similar depending on your exact setup.

You cannot drag and drop these folders directly into the iTunes library, you need to go into each folder, highlight a group of songs and then drop. Sometimes if you select too many songs the copying will not take place. Keep an eye on the bottom of the iTunes library to make sure that after you drop the tunes they are counted. You can usually drag and drop about 40 at a time.

The other option is copying all of the "F1, F2, etc." files into a new folder on your hard drive and then prompt Itunes to go get the files - but this requires some programming...

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
You can also just enable disk mode on your iPod. This way you essentially have a portable hard drive.

Only drawback is that you would need to wipe it and reload it.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Id do either 1. Through the network [just because its a whole lot easier and pretty damn fast] 2. A flash drive or some sort of removable storage. 3. Install old hard drive. [this one last because im too lazy] hah

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
My first suggestion would be over a LAN. Next would be to physically put the hard drive in the other computer. Then I'd suggest a USB drive or external hard drive. You really should have a USB drive anyway, they are so cheap right now.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
dugums said:
As easy as that would be, I don't know that somebody who doesn't have backups/doesn't seem to want backups could really pull that off :dunno:

1) since he doesnt know how to make a crossover cable, go buy one from radio shack.
2) plug it into both computers
3) right click, properties, sharing....rest is self expanitory
4) \\nameofcomputerhere
5) find folder and copy