Best of luck to anyone in Japan...

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I know 8.9 that is some serious shit. One of the biggest I remember. I hope the tsunami isn't like the Indonesian one.

Last edited:

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
tsunami warning just issued at 0203am local time west coast.. ALL REPET ALL WEST COAST UNDER WARNING....

im taking my ass and running.. im on the colombia river in oregon.. fuck this..

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Yes, best of luck. Its like a trifecta(sp? is that even a word?) of disasters over there, 8.9 is ridiculous.

mytmk3;1685006 said:
After just going through a large quake myself in Christchurch my heart goes out to everyone there

How are you all holding up over there?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Cripes... the tsunami just made it across the ocean. I hear there's damage in California and Oregon, haven't heard of anything local to me yet. Just imagine the scale required to cause problems on the other side of an ocean!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I wouldn't be surprised to see Godzilla pop out of the ocean and stomp around Tokyo soon. Seems like this is gonna be an ugly weekend for the Pacific Rim area. :(

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
I lived over 15 years in Japan in my youth as a missionary kid, and have MANY many friends over there now. I also frequent Japan on business and was there in January this year, with tickets and itinerary starting on this coming MONDAY for another week of VIP tours of my company's manufacturing plants on a benchmark tour. Of course, my first action today headed to Detroit offices for an emergency meeting was to cancel all travel plans indefinitely. Currently, I am also still scheduled for an April trip. This entire event is of a magnitude that is nearly incomprehensible. I've been in many earthquakes, volcanic eruption, typhoons and such over the years, but nothing comes anywhere remotely close to the gravity of this situation. My heart and thoughts and prayers go out to the nation and people of Japan, and I continue to monitor the status of so many friends both native to Japan and there on business and in missions as I write this. The unfolding story in the news leaves me nearly speechless... and there is little consolation in the fact that I am among the fortunate who were ALMOST in the midst of it all.

...on another ominous and even chilling note, the Fukushima nuclear power plant was where I performed a large steam boiler service over several days back in the mid '80s during a summer job I had with my friend's dad's crew. The steam boiler was simply the office HEAT providing source, with no direct relationship to the reactor, but the simple fact that I have actually BEEN IN the structure, and now looking at the critical events as they unfold... I am further struck by awe and with a personal relevance that transcends the simple spoken sentiments of an understated forum post such as this... but somehow, I just have to express my deep empathy and concern for what is happening and urge the rest of us to step back from our normal lives and reflect on just how fragile and unpredictable any given moment can be in life. Epic, surreal and catastrophically tragic. It just hits a bit too close to home for me... and I don't have the words to do the event nor my heart justice.

Tonight my hope is for peace to the people in Japan. May they find safe passage and security in their journeys to reach home, and if there, in the comfort of family and a calming of the tensions from within the depths of mother earth.

Peace.

-crisp

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
+1 on thoughts and prayers for the people in NW Japan.
It's really bad, with land subduction.
They are saying that a lot of land was reclaimed by the sea.
The water came in, and most of it stayed.
I have a friend in Fukushima city, and finally got a reply from him, that he and his family are safe.
But he says many towns are just gone................

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
crisp;1685299 said:
I lived over 15 years in Japan in my youth as a missionary kid, and have MANY many friends over there now. I also frequent Japan on business and was there in January this year, with tickets and itinerary starting on this coming MONDAY for another week of VIP tours of my company's manufacturing plants on a benchmark tour. Of course, my first action today headed to Detroit offices for an emergency meeting was to cancel all travel plans indefinitely. Currently, I am also still scheduled for an April trip. This entire event is of a magnitude that is nearly incomprehensible. I've been in many earthquakes, volcanic eruption, typhoons and such over the years, but nothing comes anywhere remotely close to the gravity of this situation. My heart and thoughts and prayers go out to the nation and people of Japan, and I continue to monitor the status of so many friends both native to Japan and there on business and in missions as I write this. The unfolding story in the news leaves me nearly speechless... and there is little consolation in the fact that I am among the fortunate who were ALMOST in the midst of it all.

...on another ominous and even chilling note, the Fukushima nuclear power plant was where I performed a large steam boiler service over several days back in the mid '80s during a summer job I had with my friend's dad's crew. The steam boiler was simply the office HEAT providing source, with no direct relationship to the reactor, but the simple fact that I have actually BEEN IN the structure, and now looking at the critical events as they unfold... I am further struck by awe and with a personal relevance that transcends the simple spoken sentiments of an understated forum post such as this... but somehow, I just have to express my deep empathy and concern for what is happening and urge the rest of us to step back from our normal lives and reflect on just how fragile and unpredictable any given moment can be in life. Epic, surreal and catastrophically tragic. It just hits a bit too close to home for me... and I don't have the words to do the event nor my heart justice.

Tonight my hope is for peace to the people in Japan. May they find safe passage and security in their journeys to reach home, and if there, in the comfort of family and a calming of the tensions from within the depths of mother earth.

Peace.

-crisp

Very well said Crisp, my prayers are for those people and your friends.

Also very glad to see you posting. I remembered you saying you were going to be in Japan in March. Said to my wife this morning when we heard the news that I thought you were there and that I hoped you were safe.

-Fred

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Someone sent me this yesterday - and i'm speechless as to the ignorance that's displayed here:

6Xx8r.jpg

Seriously - What the FUCK are people in your country thinking?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Kai;1685800 said:
Someone sent me this yesterday - and i'm speechless as to the ignorance that's displayed here:

6Xx8r.jpg

Seriously - What the FUCK are people in your country thinking?

Incomprehensible ignorance. I can't even begin to respond to that mentality...

...I'm just sick about the devastation and loss for those in the midst of this catastrophe personally and all those impacted peripherally. This is a tragedy that crosses all racial and national boundaries. There is a deep loss for all of us, and anyone who cannot see that is simply ill informed or harboring untold hate from a patterned upbringing steeped in ignorance and in no way shape or form a reflection of what "Patriotism" is comprised of. I reject the ideology in those posts openly and with great bias. If these people were actually amidst the people of Japan for any period of time, either impacted by the tragedy OR NOT, they would quickly realized the error of their viewpoint and amazingly personable and endearing nature of the Japanese as a whole. Among the most honest, sincere and principled peoples on the face of the planet, and in no way shape or form worthy of anything but empathy, understanding and support from the humanitarian collective of all mankind at this time.

I just can't dwell on the anger those posts promote right now, as I continue to feel a deep sense of pain and concern for the nation and peoples of Japan in a very close and personal way having spent so many years among them myself. All thoughts and prayers and support for the many brave and selfless individuals around the world who are mobilized in the effort to help our neighbors, and hope for comfort, peace and resolution for those who are STILL in the midst of the unfolding tragedy.

Kai, your sentiments are completely understandable. Please know that we are ALL NOT like those unfortunate posts would portray. I have been on the Arizona Memorial and shed my own tears as I observed the "black tears" rise up from the half-century old wreckage, and I have walked the Hiroshima streets and seen where the flash of the atomic bomb burst left image of schoolchildren sitting on the steps of a school entrance near the Peace Dome. There is no comfort in any of these past tragedies, only the lessons that should bring us all, every nation, that much closer to believing in the sanctity of a global society of peoples who embrace our differences and find harmony in the commonalities that we all share and hold dear.

-crisp

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I don't claim them...

Hell, some people still run around with Confederate flags. Probably the same inbred idiots that posted those remarks. I'm wondering how they figured out how to use a computer though...

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Yeah don't lump us all together. Pearl harbor was a chicken shit attack but it didn't target cilvillans. Targets were military. At the same time I didn't agree with the bombing of two cities full of civilians that had nothing to do with the surprise attack. The two countries since have become friendly. All to often people let county come before humanity.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Don't even get me started on some of those comments. "japan started WW2 by bombing pearl harbor" LMAO, go back to school you inbred fuck...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Kai;1685837 said:
It's also an incident that happened 70 YEARS AGO. Seriously, am i angry with every german i meet because of 'ze war'? No. People need to get a fucking grip and grow the fuck up :/

This, most of these idiots have to "google" Pearl Harbor to even know what it was. It's been 70+ years ago, Most people who are old enough to have been alive when it happened have put it to past...