best big brake kit?

No Mercy

May 11, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Hey everyone,

Wasn't sure what category in the forum this question falls under but i figured i couldnt go wrong postin it in General Discussion...

Anyways ive been sifting through tons of different posts on BBK's for the mkIII trying to figure out which is the best one out there. Seen some pretty cool setups on here and when surfing, and no one really has anything bad to say about any of the kits ive seen. I just wanna consolodate some opinions on the best bbk out there for the mkIII; and if you have a link or contact info for the shop/individual who sells for good price that hasnt been listed previously please do so. Thanks for everyones help and advice!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
From what I recall, there is only one real option, the Wilwood kit from Andy at ARZ performance. Various other kits have been done at one time or another - Doward, Nightpager, AP Racing, for instance, but I don't think any of those are still in production. If you're lucky, and patient, you might be able to pick one of them up used in the Buy and Sell sections.

No Mercy

May 11, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
While googling i came across a few kits other than the Wilwood..KSport? StopTech and I think another by Stillen? Is anyone familiar with these kits? The Wilwood 6 pistons are the ones I've been most intrigued by...but thats why I'm asking just to see if theres other/better/worse options out there.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The arz kits are much cheaper, plus he makes a matching rear set. Think KSport is the only one in that price range, but they don't offer a rear set and I'm unsure on quality or parts availability (pads and rotors for wilwood are quite cheap)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Iirc if you can get the ksport it's a lot more money for the Name.

The arz kit is awesome. You can get 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears. Or run mk4 rears with slight modification or Eco calipers and Sti rotors.

No Mercy

May 11, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I did see the Sleeper Design kit on a thread here they look awesome. Where are the ARZWilwood kits available I'm having trouble finding the 6 piston set and the rear 12.2. I remember seeing them somewhere but have since lost the link.

Rupinder

Supramania Contributor
Apr 24, 2007
Toronto
I have the Arizona performance BBK - W6A 6piston front and 4 piston back. Complete bolt on and great quality.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I have the Doward front Cobra kit, which is available from Driftmotion.
All in, I spent about $800 for brackets, calipers, rotors, pads, brake lines and adapters, and I like it. But If I were to do it over again, I think I
would have spent just a bit more and went with ARZ.
p1847634_1.jpg

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
supraguy@aol;1847634 said:
I have the Doward front Cobra kit, which is available from Driftmotion.
All in, I spent about $800 for brackets, calipers, rotors, pads, brake lines and adapters, and I like it. But If I were to do it over again, I think I
would have spent just a bit more and went with ARZ kit.

THIS X100000. The cobra brakes work great. But as SUPRAGUY and I both know, finding the brackets are a pain in the ass. Btw paint those brackets man! They look the same color as when I sold them to you XD haha.

They worked good?

No Mercy

May 11, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Great thanks for all the help guys. Those cobras look great my bro has some Cobras and he scares the crap outta me weavin thru traffic on the highway at a bill sixty and im sure them brakes have saved us more than a few times lol. The willwood kit sounds like a great option thanks for the link and the advice fellas.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
No Mercy;1847667 said:
Great thanks for all the help guys. Those cobras look great my bro has some Cobras and he scares the crap outta me weavin thru traffic on the highway at a bill sixty and im sure them brakes have saved us more than a few times lol. The willwood kit sounds like a great option thanks for the link and the advice fellas.
Man, you guys are nuts... be careful out there. ;)

I'd also vouch for the ARZ kits, they drive like stock... until you need to drop the anchor. :D

No Mercy

May 11, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
The toll way we peg out on is 5-7 lanes with massive shoulders. Never any cops. Honestly not much traffic on it ever but when peggin out cars do come up fast. "Traffic" prolly wasnt the best word to describe that tho ^. Thanks for concern but ya we never do nething too too stupid :) i trust my lil bro at 170 more than i trust my wife at 50 tho. Thats a fact. Can i get an Amen neone????

z4ck

Feb 23, 2012
Houston
No Mercy;1847911 said:
The toll way we peg out on is 5-7 lanes with massive shoulders. Never any cops. Honestly not much traffic on it ever but when peggin out cars do come up fast. "Traffic" prolly wasnt the best word to describe that tho ^. Thanks for concern but ya we never do nething too too stupid :) i trust my lil bro at 170 more than i trust my wife at 50 tho. Thats a fact. Can i get an Amen neone????

Not to sound like a Debbie Downer or anything but it doesn't matter how much you trust him going that fast, there are other people on the road and if any of them make a mistake while he is going that fast he will probably end up killing both of you and the other driver as well.

No Mercy

May 11, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
That doesnt sound like a debbie downer sounds like concerned driver with good head on ur shoulders. I say the same thing bout drunk driving. But yeah i sold my last hot rod 3 years ago when i had my lil girl so been a while for me behind a wheel on or off the track on a peg :) id relay ur msg if his mom n wife hadnt said it enuf alrdy :) thanks for advice on bbk again btw everyone....