benefits to electric fans?

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I have dual 12's for the last 3 years, if you wire it properly and think out the setup to avoid hot spots and stuff it works excellent, stays cool, saved a bit of weight and cleans things up nicely, seemed a bit more responsive from loss of parasitic load.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
It's nice to hear some pro electric fan comments. I was starting to get worried. Shouldn't the fans be fine as long as the whole cooling system is up to date? Id imagine that an aftermarket water temperature gauge would be good also. I've got new samco radiator hoses, samco full engine water hoses, a new OEM Thermostat, a 3 Core Koyo Radiator, the FAL 220 fans wired with a FAL Fan controller wired to control a relay that'll switch the fans on and off. Cut on temperature is 200*. Also plan on getting the lower engine cover befor my build is done. Id imagine with a setup like this the E-Fans shouldn't be a problem?

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
My single "Black Magic" fan works great. I do have a back up pusher fan just in case, with a separate temp switch that kicks the back up fan on if temps go above normal. (I've yet to have it kick on)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
MA70witBoost;1330718 said:
the FAL 220 fans wired with a FAL Fan controller wired to control a relay that'll switch the fans on and off. Cut on temperature is 200*. Also plan on getting the lower engine cover befor my build is done. Id imagine with a setup like this the E-Fans shouldn't be a problem?
Good thing you wired it to a separate relay like that. FAL's instructions say to wire the fans directly to the controller, which pulls huge current and heats up the terminal which 'unsolders' itself from the damn circuit board! (resulting in instant overheat and monkeying on the side of the road burning hands trying to jimmy-rig it to get home)

I'm in the middle of flushing my rad and installing a new rubber seal on my FAL fans, as the old seal literally fell right off. I just ordered the new seal and the girl on the phone threw in the new updated mounting hardware for free. (metal bracket, etc)

I'm so close to putting a stock fan back in because of all the troubles, but I want to drive my car tomorrow so the FAL is going back in tonight! :D

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
tekdeus;1330881 said:
Good thing you wired it to a separate relay like that. FAL's instructions say to wire the fans directly to the controller, which pulls huge current and heats up the terminal which 'unsolders' itself from the damn circuit board! (resulting in instant overheat and monkeying on the side of the road burning hands trying to jimmy-rig it to get home)

I'm in the middle of flushing my rad and installing a new rubber seal on my FAL fans, as the old seal literally fell right off. I just ordered the new seal and the girl on the phone threw in the new updated mounting hardware for free. (metal bracket, etc)

I'm so close to putting a stock fan back in because of all the troubles, but I want to drive my car tomorrow so the FAL is going back in tonight! :D

good luck with that. i hope you dont run into any more problems with the fans. Yeah, I've been trying to read around and see what problems I might encounter w/ my build. So far I think I got most things taken care of and will be able to enjoy this car for longer than a month or two this time.

BTW, sad reality of owning a 17+ y/o car is that if it hadn't been properly maintained befor you, you have to be ready with a tool kit in the car to make due when it decides to show its age.

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
i run a single 16in electric, but then I have an aluminum radiator. never gets over 180 under full boost on a hot day.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
IJ.;1331252 said:
Mine is

"If some's good more is better and too much is just right" ;)

double edged sword you have there! ;) (thinks back to the bolts ive snapped and stripped while learning the importance of a tq wrench etc...)