Battery ?

Emik87t

GameOver
May 30, 2007
Iowa
Does anyone else here have a problem with their battery on their supra going dead? I don't drive mine a whole lot and if it sits for awhile, i always have to recharge the battery.

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
How long is awhile? How old is the battery? How many aftermarket acc's do you have?, also try a battery tender before you cost yourself good money. Inexpensive insurance.:)

Emik87t

GameOver
May 30, 2007
Iowa
Well it's been about 3 weeks this time. I've been putting off changing the oil beings I hate taking off the damn filter, and I have quite a few mods. Just put in the aem ems with UEGO and I still have my apexi turbo timer as far as electronics go. My battery is about a year and a half old and my dad has a 91 with the same problem. He bought a battery 3 months ago, didn't drive it for like a month, and now his batteries dead too.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Meh. Leave the speculation out of this.

Get a multimeter and test the current draw when the ignition is OFF.

Disconnect your positive or negative terminal and put the multimeter inline with the battery. Measure the current being drawn.

I believe Toyota says .08 amps is acceptable. Personally I've never seen a vehicle draw more than .03

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
.08 is too high. 50 milliamps is too much.

Batteries are perishable. You can't expect it to sit, although 3 weeks isn't long. Consider the batteries you are buying after you check for a parasitic draw.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Poodles;1122358 said:
^^Make sure the multimeter is fused!!!

Quick way to kill a multimeter if it draws too much through it...

Indeed.

Honestly though if you're pulling enough current to pop a fuse/kill a meter you have some serious problems :)

I believe both my Flukes are fused at 10A

Nick M;1122363 said:
.08 is too high. 50 milliamps is too much.

That's always what I've thought but I remember reading in a Toyota document that the acceptable range was somewhere around .08

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've seen people pop cheap multimeters because they opened the door and the lights inside came on and drew too much for the meter...

My car has sat for months and months and the battery was still enough to start the car (barely that that point). What kind of battery are you running?

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
A better question is how old is your battery.

Battery quality is really crummy as of late. I have been taking in so many returns on batteries, especially optimas made form last year to current.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
my optima's been fine :dunno:

I won't run conventional liquid acid batteries ever again, if you even have one leak the damage it does is nuts.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i have optima red/yellow blemishes :)

my battery drains if it sits for over a month.... :( just enough for it to click not start

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
the positive cable on mine is corroded and broke and running off wal mart batt. so thats my dead batt deal.. if I was you and your not going to drive it much, unplug the batt also do as the others say and see what kinda readings you get when its off.

probably got crusty wires somewhere.

I'd fix my problem but moneys not in my pocket right now and I want to relocate to the rear with some welding cable.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Dunno why everyone wants to relocate the battery... Can't go to the strip, potentially toxic gasses, overall hassle to do... The weight shift isn't enough to justify it IMHO...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Poodles;1122828 said:
Dunno why everyone wants to relocate the battery... Can't go to the strip, potentially toxic gasses, overall hassle to do... The weight shift isn't enough to justify it IMHO...

There are quite a few mods that aren't actually justified on this car.

Last edited:

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Poodles;1123053 said:
I agree, but the usual justification is "racing" when you'd never pass tech with most of the relocations I see...
I'm relocating mine to the spare tire well so I can fit a FFIM. Vent thru well
drain, external kill switch @ rear license plate, inside kill switch where the
TEMS controller used to be. I have an Optima now, new in Jan. '08 and
presently suspect. Thinking of trying a CF 21lb. Braile and using a trickle
charger when the car sits. Any thoughts on the choice of a Braile?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Poodles;1123053 said:
I agree, but the usual justification is "racing" when you'd never pass tech with most of the relocations I see...

yeah i couldn't justify a relocation on a non drag car.