Bad Vibrations-MKII question

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Well, I've decided to start taking a better look at the ol Supra and I've decided again that I have no idea what the problem is.

here's the background story:
82 Supra 6mge 5sp, ST springs (2" drop), Monroe shocks, Riken 14" w/ new tires, camber mod, basically all I can think that would make any difference. 0 shake.

Last winter I installed new shocks, I bought a set of 16's off ebay w/ brand new tires mounted/balanced (later rebalanced to double check), camber mod still there, added poly bushings andco front/rear sway bars, cusco front/rear strut bars, I also replaced the seals of the Diff (which had been leaking). Now, I've got a WICKED vibration/shake on acceleration and it kind of levels off once I get up to speed but is still quite pronounced.

I have installed the old wheels and tires and this made 0 difference.

I am thinking about going to a 1piece driveshaft to eliminate that as a problem now and in the future if I decide to swap an engine in.

My question, besides what else could be going on, is if I removed both the rear halfshafts, jacked the car up and put it in gear, would I feel the vibration if it was indeed the driveshaft? This is the only thing that I can think to do.

I have jacked the car up and let the car idle in 1st gear to see if I could see anything moving/loose or whatever but w/ no luck.

The car sat all summer because I recently moved out of my parents house (graduated) and moved to 'the big city' and am an hour away. I am building my first home and i really don't feel like driving the car up there the way it currently is.

So, Cliffs:
I have a vibration after I installed new wheels/tires, poly bushings, and strut/sway bars. Wheels have been ruled out. What else could it be? Am I just feeling something that has always been there but is noticeable now because the car is 'tighter'?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I'll drive it up there for you ;)

Swap back to the stock bushings, then lose the strut bars. If it's still doing it after that, light it on fire

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
errr engine mounts maybe? maybe you gained 300 horsepower and didnt know it and the downpipe is shaking the car

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
themadhatter;900845 said:
I really don't know anything about mk2's or even if they have floater rearends but Check the axel shafts maybe ones bent

That is a possibility. maybe while it was in the shed something fell on it.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
When you say you put in poly bushings, i'm assuming you did all 4 corners, both upper and lower a-arms?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Uppers dont exist :icon_razz

I did all for corners, every bushing I could get, plus two new diff hanger bushings that were the last in the country. :icon_bigg

I will look into the bent axle though.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
mkiiSupraMan18;901631 said:
Uppers dont exist :icon_razz

I did all for corners, every bushing I could get, plus two new diff hanger bushings that were the last in the country. :icon_bigg

I will look into the bent axle though.

Oops... :)

Did you get the car realigned after the bushings?