Bad vibration at higher speeds

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Hey all ive been having a problem with my mk3 lately. Id say around 90 the car starts to rumble/vibrate but only during decel. If im still mashing it, it will be good up to like 110-120 then it will start vibrating. It gets worse when I hit the brakes at that speed. Its scary and I avoid those speed like the plague. However, im just wondering what it could be. i was thinking DS but why would hitting the brakes make it worse? Maybe its a wheel bearing/ball joint or somehting in the suspension. I have a little vibration at 60-70 but its not bad at all. Maybe its just my tires? Please let me know your input. Ill be putting the car up on jack stands this weekend and poke around as much as I can too.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its either rotors or a ds. Check for play in the carrier bearing. Also inspect the brakes.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
be careful, along with common sense, vibrations such as those can actually shake things loose on the chassis (not good obviously). After going through some interesting issues with my car, I still have some small vibrations around 90ish, but I've given up on fixing them for the moment. However, that bit above is always on my mind, and I find it hard to not worry about it sometimes.

GL!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'll be the devil's advocate/voice of reason here and suggest that you not drive *quite* that fast, but that would be awfully hypocritical of me, and I suspect, most people on here... My guess would be the same as what's been mentioned already though, driveshaft first, brakes second.

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Well I figured Id update this thread. I found that the DS center bearing has about an inch of play side to side. I also found that I had 2 DS bolts loose and I tightened it up. That helped but its not 100%. I think if I replace the DS ill be set. I have one on order and ill make sure to post the results

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'd still be checking the phasing very carefully when the new bearing goes in, yet to see one that hasn't slipped a little.
(my NA shaft was out badly so it's not a power thing)