bad knock sensors on dyno? (pics/vids)

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Did bad knock sensors/wiring do this to my dyno reading? I street tuned the car, 17psi, 93oct, 11.7afr. It pulled very hard and very fast. The day before I went to the dyno I could feel the power drop. I didn't know what it was on the dyno. No codes on dyno. AFR fell to 10.6 during the power drop. On the way home it threw codes 34, 51, 52. I seem to always have 51 from the a/c.

p855635_1.jpg

p855635_2.jpg

p855635_3.jpg

I definetly can't complain about 295ft-lb at only 3700rpm. Any ideas? Time for new knock sensors and wiring.

Dennis

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
start with rewiring first, also i hope you have a big turbo using 17psi on 93 oct pump gas.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
wow ive never seen a 7m dyno graph that looked like a hammock.

51 means either you touched the gas pedal while in diag mode or your tps is off adjustment. 52 is knock sensor of course. that would explain the huge dip in power. it pulls the crap out of timing and power will fall way off. get that fixed and im pretty confident that will take care of your issues.

note: presence of knock will NOT set a code. only a bad knock sensor or wiring will. it has nothing to do with knock itself.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Nice looking car. As db pointed out your code 51 has to do with the TPS. Either that or you're driving the car in diagnostic mode with the engine off and AC on. If that's the case let us in on the trick because it'd save a shitload of fuel ;)

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
BoostedToys said:
A little off topic but...Wow...thats a nice Supra! Love the lights!:thumbup:

I was thinking the same thing! It's nice to see another beautiful black Supra :)

Also if that turbo acts anything like mine judging by the graph you should be hitting 400-450hp after everythings in check. My car makes peak power @ 6300rpm.

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
survyor2 said:
Thanks guys! Sounds like you guys agree on the knock sensors could be the cause of this. Thanks for the info on code 51 (tps). I'll fix that too.

P.S. yes, big turbo, fully built

Dennis
lol good the more of us on the road the better.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
So when the knock sensors are triggered, the ECU drops timing for how long? several seconds? or is it a real-time adjustment? Just wondering because my car is having slight surges and dips in power at 15-17psi.

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
not to be a thread jacker guys...but i am running an n'a block, which has only one spot for a knock sensor, and i'm only running an afc/afm for management, i guessing i'm gonna throw a 52 and suffer from it? or could i tap into the signal from the one i'll actually be using and run both wires off of that one sensor? i'm not apt to drilling my fully assembled block...:3d_frown:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Supra_Villan;1184529 said:
not to be a thread jacker guys...but i am running an n'a block, which has only one spot for a knock sensor, and i'm only running an afc/afm for management, i guessing i'm gonna throw a 52 and suffer from it? or could i tap into the signal from the one i'll actually be using and run both wires off of that one sensor? i'm not apt to drilling my fully assembled block...:3d_frown:

Pigtail the signal wire at the ECU end, basically jumping the input from one sensor to both inputs.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
tekdeus;1184461 said:
So when the knock sensors are triggered, the ECU drops timing for how long? several seconds? or is it a real-time adjustment? Just wondering because my car is having slight surges and dips in power at 15-17psi.

The info on this is a bit vague, but the amount of retard angle depends on if the sensors detect a weak, medium, or strong knock....the amount of retard increases from weak to strong. When knock stops, retard is stopped and timing is advanced by fixed angles a little at a time. Advance continues until knock occurs again and the cycle repeats. So in this sense, yes it is a real time adjustment.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
jdub;1184565 said:
The info on this is a bit vague, but the amount of retard angle depends on if the sensors detect a weak, medium, or strong knock....the amount of retard increases from weak to strong. When knock stops, retard is stopped and timing is advanced by fixed angles a little at a time. Advance continues until knock occurs again and the cycle repeats. So in this sense, yes it is a real time adjustment.

Is there a way to wire in something that would show whether or not knock is being detected?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
IJ.;1184685 said:
Buy a "knock link"

It has a series of LED's that light up to indicate the level of knock.

Cool unit, IJ. Is there a way to know if the ECU is pulling timing because of knock? Or is it obvious? i.e. huge drop in power, or check engine light? I'm unsure of why my car is having slight surges and dips in power at full boost.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
When the ECU pulls timing due to knock, there is no CEL. You will see a loss of power...the curve will flatten or dip on the dyno graph, but not like the "hammock" in post #1 (unless you go straight to "strong"). A surge? I don't think that would be due to pulling advance from the knock sensors...the ECU doesn't add back advance enough to cause that.