Back in the game: 1990 GTE Targa -> Sloppy Cruiser / Racecar.

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
It's been years since I've dabbled in the MKIII world, since the abrupt end of my 1988 1UZ swap plans back in '09, but now I'm back, after finally finding my Moby Dick- A Cheap but solid White Package.

Car is straight as an arrow. Only cancer is cosmetic and typical of these, few spots around the door handles, Targa, and rear wheel wells. Chassis is otherwise the most solid I've seen in years.

P/O already fully gutted the interior, and as it was initially intended to be his next drift car, even came with some interesting additions such as the front minitubs. I was also happy for this, as the car's first stop is intended to be my buddy's shop for a full cage and chassis bracing, the rationale for which comes next...

I've decided against persuing my earlier plans of the UZ. Now before you purists crucify me, hear me out. My POS daily driver produces solid 400's at the wheels, I can't settle for anything less than 6xx-7xx's from a dedicated weekend warrior. Next, there is a part of my brain that balks at the concept of going through the effort required to swap, for a gain of a mere 1 liter of displacement. And lastly, budget and longevity wise, I want to toss this car together with the intentions of having it able to hold together as long as plausible, for as little as possible.

Where does all of this lead us? The GM LSx Vortec, naturally, with a large-frame snail and ethanol added to the mix. Current plans is for more or less a revised Sloppy Mechanics build. Aluminum L33's are currently going for less than their Cast 5.3L brethren around here, so the lighter block is the plan for now. Transmitting the power will be a mild-built T56, feeding the rebuilt OEM LSD. I have experience in using Mega-squirt products, so to make things as painless as possible, it will all be run by either my old MS2v3, or the Microsquirt. This is furthered by the fact that the chassis has no OE harness with which to splice a Vortec harness into.

That's all for now. This will be (much like most of the ground-up builds on here) a long, slow process. I can't get the Chassis into my garage until I finish two part-outs and a different engine swap, so there is going to be some lag in my start-up.

Still, look forward to some retarded fun.

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
Grandavi;2007580 said:
Good luck with the build. Sounds like it will be interesting at the very least :)

Ironically, interesting is precisely what I was aiming for. ;)

Thanks guys

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
Happy to see this much interest and support already. Frankly, I was prepared to get heckled. Hahahaha.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Donnie;2007698 said:
Happy to see this much interest and support already. Frankly, I was prepared to get heckled. Hahahaha.

You won't hear any comments from the peanut gallery, at least not me. My car was a total dud when I started so comparatively speaking yours is in great shape lol.

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
Grandavi;2011659 said:
Specs on that engine?

BosoMKII;2011683 said:
What engine is that? Looks like it came from an antique pickup truck

L33. Aluminum 5.3 with a slightly more aggressive cam than it's iron brethren, as well as bitchin head castings and the flat-top slugs.

Not antique, though it did come in pickups. :biglaugh:

Edit: Here's a better written explanation. lol.

L33

The Vortec 5300 L33 (VIN code "B") is an aluminum block version of the LM7, and was referred to as the Vortec 5300 HO in marketing materials. How ever it should be noted that the L33 uses a flat top piston from the 4.8L instead of the standard dish piston found in the LM7. It also uses 799 cylinder heads, which are identical to the 243 casting found on the LS6 and LS2 with the exception to the Corvette spec valve springs, and hollow stem exhaust valves on the 2002-2004 LS6. This combination increased the compression from 9.5:1 to 10.0:1. Also the L33 had a specific camshaft not shared with any other engine, with lobe lift of 7.2 mm, 193 degrees of intake and exhaust duration, and a 116 degree lobe separation angle. As a result power increased by 15 hp (11 kW), to 310 hp (230 kW) and 335 lb·ft (441 N·m). It was only available on extended cab 4WD pickup trucks. Only 25% of trucks made in 2005 had the L33 engine.

L33 applications:

2005–2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD
2005–2007 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD

Last edited:

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
im going with a lm7 iron block, bored to 3.90" using ls6 internals, 243 heads and ls6 intake. i just got my cx racing lsx longtube headers for the mk3 yesterday. my project has been very slow in the making coming up on 2 years now. looking forward to this build

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
grifter679;2011810 said:
im going with a lm7 iron block, bored to 3.90" using ls6 internals, 243 heads and ls6 intake. i just got my cx racing lsx longtube headers for the mk3 yesterday. my project has been very slow in the making coming up on 2 years now. looking forward to this build

LSx swap aftermarket...? WHAT?! :naughty:

So, great news everybody!

My "L33" is actually an '02 f-body LS6 mutt engine! SCORE!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
241 casting heads are 67cc LS1 heads. What's the stock combustion chamber volume size on the stock L33 heads?
So is the bottom end a 6.0l LS2?

Last edited:

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
Suprapowaz!(2);2015509 said:
241 casting heads are 67cc LS1 heads. What's the stock combustion chamber volume size on the stock L33 heads?
So is the bottom end a 6.0l LS2?

Wait, what? Where did you get LS2 from? lol.

I know what 241's are, hence why I know it's a mutt LS6 (Combo of block casting numbers and heads). Last two years of the F-body, they utilized LS6 shortblocks with LS1 heads and extras to save on logistics. The guy I bought it from had been told it was an L33 and ran with this falsity up until I bought it from him.