Awd car to swap a 7m in?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
The solution to all of this: Have Ian buy and ship you a 4WD Ute. Sure, it'll cost a bajillion dollars, but you will never see anyone in the US with one- ever.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
toyotanos;1743130 said:
Oh Ian, look at the location- Wisconsin. Just a hop, skip, and half a jump away from me. We have this thing called hellawinter with feet and feet of white stuff. AWD ftw my friend!

P1040444.JPG

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1743255 said:
Truck, yes. 4wd corolla, hellllllll no. Drivetrain isn't built for it, the car isn't large enough for the 7M, and it's going to handle like shit with a 7M in it...

Poodles;1743260 said:
Hey man, they run long enough to get you hooked on them :rofl:

Hey man, I've seen Supra motors stuffed into first gen Celicas before... old Corolla could be viable if you had a big enough hammer. ;)

And no shit about getting hooked on 7m's... I haven't owned one in a few years, and I'm getting bad ideas about a certain Mk2 swap. Stupid 7m's... how I hate to love them. :p

On the original subject, just get an All-Trac Celica and call it a day. Run good, can be made to be reasonably fast, and fairly reliable too. I almost bought one a few months back myself. :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Somewhere on the net I saw a picture of an AE86 with the 7M. I guess that makes it an ME86? I wouldn't do it. Go for the Celica Supra with a 7M swap.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
toyotanos;1743272 said:
The solution to all of this: Have Ian buy and ship you a 4WD Ute. Sure, it'll cost a bajillion dollars, but you will never see anyone in the US with one- ever.

Like the blue one with the bed cover that was on top gear, Im in. Who wants to pitch in? We can take turns every other month driving it. lol.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
hvyman;1743449 said:
Like the blue one with the bed cover that was on top gear, Im in. Who wants to pitch in? We can take turns every other month driving it. lol.

Ok but i get to go first.. one of you ass holes are gonna break it be for my turn otherwise

If you really want to have a 7M for every day of the year a minitruck is it. Alltracs are too rare and a mk2 would probably be just as bad if not worse than a mk3 in the snow with a GTE.

Personally I'm helping a friend of mine swap a GE into a 90 4wd pickup and it's pretty straightforward. Going from a 22re to 7M needs different (5M?) mounts, a small bit of wiring and a W58 bellhousing. For the time and effort it's not a bad way to double your power..

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
OP said awd though. So a 4wd isn't the same. You would at least want to add some lsd's or lockers. So it wouldn't be just a swap ($$). Plus I've owned a few 4wd minitrucks and they don't handle worth a **** when in 4wd. All you need is a stock supra (already conveniently lifted) and an lsd. That's enough for me in the winter. And I live in Canada.

PS make more money and buy a Subaru

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

OP said awd though. So a 4wd isn't the same. You would at least want to add some lsd's or lockers. So it wouldn't be just a swap ($$). Plus I've owned a few 4wd minitrucks and they don't handle worth a **** when in 4wd. All you need is a stock supra (already conveniently lifted) and an lsd. That's enough for me in the winter. And I live in Canada.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
planemos;1743527 said:
OP said awd though. So a 4wd isn't the same.

If you are driving all the wheels, and there are four of them, that makes what? I think there is about 7 ways to achieve 4 wheel drive.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
planemos;1743527 said:
All you need is a stock supra (already conveniently lifted) and an lsd. That's enough for me in the winter. And I live in Canada.

I'd agree with this. Daily driven 3 different Supras through Wyoming winters for at least 5 years now. Have only had two situations where I got even somewhat stuck. One, got flipped around having a bit too much fun in the Mk2 (turns out good snow tires are directional too, and don't work very good in reverse), and at my current job where we don't have a plow, but have snow drifts tall enough to high center my lowered Mk3. Other than that they make fantastic cars for winter. :)

But Subaru makes better cars for the winter. ;)