Auto Upgrades Needed When?

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Hello. If the goal for my auto turbo supra is to hit 350hp, (prob upper 200's to the wheels), are there any needed auto tranny upgrades needed for this?

I've read through the forums and saw people runnin high 300's and having auto tranny coolers.

Any input from those who have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Asap. I went through my stock auto trans @ 7 lbs w/ a intake. No trans cooler though. Got a trans cooler and a blue kevlar clutch kit and some other crazy shit and its been good to go since then

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Fubar231;1352127 said:
Asap. I went through my stock auto trans @ 7 lbs w/ a intake. No trans cooler though. Got a trans cooler and a blue kevlar clutch kit and some other crazy shit and its been good to go since then

Was the install on the cooler/kevlar a pain?

Is there a stronger transmission I can swap in thats an auto?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
These tips are ever so helpful, thanks a lot. Now I have another project added to the list for this winter. A good tip i saw in that thread was to have the car set for a lower psi through 2nd gear, then hit full psi as accelerate to from 2nd to 3rd.

Apparently 1/2 shift is the weak link in this tranny.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
gofastgeorge;1352364 said:
Here is a easy up-grade for the A340e posted over in supraforums:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267655

It firms up the shifts, lessoning the slip while doing so.
Thus it cuts down on clutch wear.

And the chirping tires on full throttle 1-2 shift is fun too ! :naughty:

Also, contact Ty over at IPT,
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml
they do a modified valve body that is even more aggressive.
And they can build you a high stall converter.

I did a write up on this a while back
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=528295&postcount=10
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=528298&postcount=11

Its fairly easy and works great, I also suggest gettng the tranny cooler, a big one. The amount of heat mine displaces is amazing. I put my cooler under the driver headlight behind the bumper and the whole quarter panel gets hot to the touch from the heat it releases.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
SideWinderGX;1352619 said:
Aha! That's where I know your name from Jebus...5/8" thick shims correct? About how long did it take you to take off the tranny cover/sifter thing/shim the accumulators/reassemble?

Total time for the job was like ~ 5-6 hours because i didnt remove the tranny and spent a good amount of time just double checking everything i was doing. (+stopping to take a picture every 3 min.) I was going to remove the whole tranny but gave up when i added up the immense amount of shit i had to remove before i could even tip the engine to get the top two bell housing bolts. Dissolving assembly lube was the key to doing this upside down.

*as a progress report the tranny hasnt missed a single beat. Shifts great under WOT and the normal driving shifts are just slightly more aggressive over original. Last it was running the tranny was holding strong for multiple 20psi runs on a 57trim over a period of about 4 months. Still in great shape since i last replaced the oil in there.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
This big enough? (Was the biggest one I could find)

p1353832_1.jpg

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Nope - this was from a few years back.

Engine bay is empty now, so happy for suggestions on the "right" place for it to go, as I wasn't the one who put it there :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LilMissMkIII;1353834 said:
Nope - this was from a few years back.

Engine bay is empty now, so happy for suggestions on the "right" place for it to go, as I wasn't the one who put it there :)

I run 2 of mine between the Rad and AC core, out front like that isn't helping the IC any.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Does the Auto trans cooler need a cooling fan, or will the cooler alone in front of the engine compartment suffice?

Also, what circulates the auto tranny fluid. There isn't anything else needed to add to circulate the oil right?

Thanks.