Auto Transmission Difference

Ok so pretty Much right now i have a 1987 Mk3 with an A340E transmission that is going bad, i have been calling around trying to find one, a question came up to me who i asked a toyota tech who didn't even have an answer for, so here is there question, would a auto transmission out of a turbo model be compatible with my none turbo car? I have done a little research and found out the only difference between the 2 is a ABS sensor.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes it will. The turbo model transmission is beefed up a bit as well.

You're still looking at an old transmission though...

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
No. 1 one way clutch has one more clutch disc and friction pad. there is also another one that has one more but I forget which one exactly. One of then goes from 5 to 6 and the other goes from 6 to 7 but again I forget which one is which. Basically the turbo a340e will hold slightly more power.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
the NA and turbo trans for 87-88 are the same externaly. internally the turbo trans has the extra clutch pack per gear to take the extra power.

though for the cost, why not swap in a a 5spd? it will prob end up costing the same anyways, so why risk a used auto that may only last 6 months only to go bad again?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
bioskyline;1952139 said:
the NA and turbo trans for 87-88 are the same externaly. internally the turbo trans has the extra clutch pack per gear to take the extra power.

not trying to be picky buy it's not every gear, just two clutch packs:) I have to agree on the 5 speed swap though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, manuals have one clutch that's easy to replace...automatics have internal clutches that are difficult to replace. Both are wear items...

I actually Called around and the only guy that i found said he would Charge me a 1000 bucks to reubild it if i pulled the Tranny, and 1500 if he did it, also was willing to give me a 1 year 50k mile warrenty, and the reason i haven't swapped trannys yet is because I'm going to do it next year when i put my 1jz in.

4sfed

Jul 30, 2006
Wisconsin
ReapeR_Spurz89;1952067 said:
I have done a little research and found out the only difference between the 2 is a ABS sensor.
What differences did you find about the ABS sensor? Do the Mark3s have ABS?
I currently have a couple 7mgte-powered '85 Mark2s, one of which has a 7mgte and A340 from a donor '91 mk3. My other '85 I swapped in an '87 7mgte and kept the w-58 five-speed in it. That car is fine but the auto is messing up on me - first the engine seized up while driving down the road a couple months ago so I swapped in another spare 7mgte I had recently rebuilt but the slushbox has been acting up since I got it back on the road again. Overdrive has been intermittantly dropping out and now it won't shift to OD at all. So I want to find another A340 to put in. When I did the original swap about six years ago I had a whole '90 mk3 donor car but now I just want another tranny - I know - just go 5 speed but I already have one and want to keep one of each. So I am wondering what all I could be looking at for a donor tranny. Are all turbo Mark3s the same from '87 to '92 as far as the auto trannys? Will a turbo Mark4 auto work?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
4sfed;1968233 said:
What differences did you find about the ABS sensor? Do the Mark3s have ABS?
I currently have a couple 7mgte-powered '85 Mark2s, one of which has a 7mgte and A340 from a donor '91 mk3. My other '85 I swapped in an '87 7mgte and kept the w-58 five-speed in it. That car is fine but the auto is messing up on me - first the engine seized up while driving down the road a couple months ago so I swapped in another spare 7mgte I had recently rebuilt but the slushbox has been acting up since I got it back on the road again. Overdrive has been intermittantly dropping out and now it won't shift to OD at all. So I want to find another A340 to put in. When I did the original swap about six years ago I had a whole '90 mk3 donor car but now I just want another tranny - I know - just go 5 speed but I already have one and want to keep one of each. So I am wondering what all I could be looking at for a donor tranny. Are all turbo Mark3s the same from '87 to '92 as far as the auto trannys? Will a turbo Mark4 auto work?

That was a bit rough to read but as far as i know they are all the same. MK4 is different but i'm not sure how.