Auto Tranny cooler question.

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
Hi guys, I was just wondering if i could clean out and use one of my extra stock oil coolers as a tranny cooler.

Now i know the bigger the better, but would the stock oil cooler size be even a slight upgrade to the internal radiator setup?

I have a nice aftermarket Rad from my old manual supra that i am looking to swap over but it doesnt have an internal cooler for the tranny.

Thanks!
-Corwin

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jetjock;1863509 said:
^ This. Makes for a halfway decent PS cooler though. And the one in your radiator isn't just for cooling.
What else is it for? I haven't had a car with an auto in such a long time, but I can't think of any other purpose... you have me quite puzzled here JJ. TSRM have an answer? Or is this one of those general knowledge things you pick up with time?

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
Yep i did try to research my question on here and i found many threads close to it. But i also saw IJ say that he just used a stand alone tranny cooler and didnt reroute the lines through the Rad(for bringing the fluid up to temp.) Some thing about the auto tranny having a low pressure feed.

Btw thanks much for your thoughts.

I'm just going to throw the stock Rad back in untill i can order a cooler and do it right.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Devin LeBlanc;1863906 said:
It's mainly used to help warm the trans fluid.

jetjock;1864057 said:
What Devin said. It's best if tranny fluid is brought up to the optimum temp range quickly and kept within that window. You don't want it too cold or too hot. And what people should really be doing is filtering it.
Thanks for clearing that up, auto transmissions are something of a mystery to me, but that makes sense. Don't they already have filters in the transmission though? You're suggesting an in-line filter for the guys running auto JJ?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
te72;1864130 said:
Thanks for clearing that up, auto transmissions are something of a mystery to me, but that makes sense. Don't they already have filters in the transmission though? You're suggesting an in-line filter for the guys running auto JJ?

Nope, not all autos have filters, most are just screens (don't know on the supra specificly, but I know on many toyotas they use only a screen). Even the filters and usually glorfied screens and won't filter nearly as well as a true filter setup.