At the end of my rope

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
Ok so here it goes. I used to have the HKS FCon installed on my car and it was starting to become irritating because there were only limited ways to "tune" it..... SOOOOO, I purchased a MAP ECU and the plug and play harness for it a month or two ago. I was excited and decided it was time to put it on last week.

Anyways, I put the new piggyback on, loaded the map, made sure all was good and tried to turn her over... One backfire and then it didn't even act like she wanted to start again. I can smell fuel and know its rich (later I check plugs and they were drenched).... I check for spark. I have a great spark. and I know I have air so I am thinking that timing my have became different somehow with a new ecu? So I had a buddy mess with the CPS while I attempted to start her up... Nothing. So were return everything to previous conditions including the CPS and FCon... NOTHING and it acted the same as with the MAP ECU not wanting to start and all...

I then try and let the cyl dry out and double check my connections and I still get no results. I then go run a compression test and it turns out like so ~.... 80, 65, 60, 65, and so on. Everyone I talk to says she should still start at least, but she does not want to. So I add some oil per cyl and let is soak and turn the car over with EFI fuse pulled. THen I retest and it came out the exact same, and then still wont start.

Sorry for the long and not wll put together paragraphs, but I am so pissed. I put so much time, and hard work into my car like many others do and she is giving me hell..... :cry: :1zhelp:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
You're not going to get much support here. Most guys here are running some kind of version of MAFT. You'll need to contact these guys and see if they can offer some kind of tech support http://www.performancemotorresearch.co.nz/ .

Isn't there a way to can wire the MAP ECU into the karmen vortex AFM electronics so it can learn the base settings of the ECU? I could be wrong.

About your compression test, those numbers are pretty low. When doing a wet test don't let the oil soak. Pour your oil in, roughly 1oz., screw in the tester and crank it over mmediatly. If your numbers go up, then most likely it's your bottom end. If the numbers stay the same then it could be something up top. I thought a healthy 7mgte's compression numbers should be around 140+psi, so you're down on power. But yeah, even with low compression it should start.

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
I'm not worried about the MAP ECU right now. I am worried about the whole damn car haha. The stock ecu wont start the car now, nor will the stock ecu with the fcon, which has been on the car and running fine till I switched over, then back. Right now I have the fcon installed and it wont run anymore.

Suprapowaz!(2) said:
You're not going to get much support here. Most guys here are running some kind of version of MAFT. You'll need to contact these guys and see if they can offer some kind of tech support http://www.performancemotorresearch.co.nz/ .

Isn't there a way to can wire the MAP ECU into the karmen vortex AFM electronics so it can learn the base settings of the ECU? I could be wrong.

About your compression test, those numbers are pretty low. When doing a wet test don't let the oil soak. Pour your oil in, roughly 1oz., screw in the tester and crank it over mmediatly. If your numbers go up, then most likely it's your bottom end. If the numbers stay the same then it could be something up top. I thought a healthy 7mgte's compression numbers should be around 140+psi, so you're down on power. But yeah, even with low compression it should start.

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
Metal head gasket and arp bolts. Stock internals and head. Was supposedly just rebuilt 1000 miles before I got it and I put just 5k on it.

IJ. said:
The Comp numbers are a real concern here!

What's done to the motor and what condition is it in?